It seems that December is just a busy month. Besides Dustin's baptism, it was of course, his birthday. We celebrated with a delicious dinner and homemade cake followed by opening a few gifts.
The cake was fun to create and easy to make and was none other than ..... you guessed it .... something to do with military. As I've said before when you enter our house lately you enter the militarized zone.
There were a few things Dustin got for his birthday that he's been waiting with bated breath to get.
The look of excitement from a boy with a new pellet gun
Number one, a pellet gun. This has been sort of a big deal. Big because I would rather have waited until he was like ten or twenty (ok, just kidding), Ken, who was raised on a farm learned to shoot probably before he could walk. Ok, ok, not really but you get what I'm saying. Eight seemed like a good compromise. For Dustin, one of his favorite things to do is head out to Grandpa's farm, put some empty cans out in the middle of a field and shoot them with a .22, and he's pretty good at it too. After Dustin got his pellet gun, he later complained saying "It's like I don't even have one, because I can only use it when you or dad are with me and it stays locked up!" Oh the woes of an eight year old! Duh! Again, if we lived on a farm it might be a bit different, but there's not a man out there that hasn't told me their "adventures" as a young boy with their BB gun which makes any woman wonder how boys even make it alive until their 18th birthday. Don't get me wrong, I am a supporter of the right to own a gun and have a few myself, but of course believe that training, respect, practicing safety, etc are a must. Daria claims she will "never" own a gun but if she did it would be the "pink" one that they advertise on the back of the box! She cracks me up.
Meet Joe, G.I. Joe and his 1964 jeep.
The second thing Dustin got was a 1964 G.I. Joe jeep. Yep, thanks to Celeste and my super savvy e-Bay buying, found that prized possession a while back. They just don't make toys like that any longer, so this was a big treat for Dustin. It actually has a spot light that works, and the headlights work, if we can figure out how to wire the old wires. Of course a few old G.I. Joe's were added to it. These are the "real" G.I. Joe's that came out before the movie, so they are actually modeled after real servicemen.
I had to include this picture, which strangely seems to have something to do with the first picture on this post. You know the one with Daria looking so sweet and kind with Joe. Not sure what happened to him but this picture looks oddly suspicious.

2 comments:
Great cake! Your hair looks beautiful!
I'd like a piece of that cake right this minute. So cute- you are such a great mom! I just had a little twinge of "wish I could hang out with Karie". ...why must we live so far away?
Post a Comment