Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Honor anyway

As the day wore on I couldn't help but think of how disappointed I was not to be able to attend the return of Jeffery Johnson due to Dustin's appointment. Dustin was disappointed too. Then I realized if I picked him up from school just 30 minutes earlier, maybe, just maybe we would have enough time to show our respect and make it to his appointment..... and we did

It's difficult to describe the scene and emotions accurately. Suffice it to say, that from the local airport all the way to where I was standing (next to the funeral home) people were lined up on the streets. Hundreds and hundreds of people. Businesses closed, a few schools came out, a school choir sang for a 5 mile procession, flags waived, and it was quiet. All except the sound of the sirens and the mild hum of the Patriot Guard riders. Local leaders and congressmen attended in respect.

and he returns home

and not a dry eye

I love the Patriot Guard Riders. This is the first time I've seen so many, maybe over 100 or more, they just kept coming and coming.... and they will be at the funeral tomorrow too, standing in a flag line at the request of the family.

Semper Fi

for a view of the plane landing and those lined up on the highway go to this link.

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/05/19/tomball_magnolia_potpourri/news/052610_po_as_marine_cpl_johnson.txt

4 comments:

Cheri C. said...

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if you would really let an appointment of any sorts get in the way of something so important. That is something to remember forever. I didn't realize this was done. It seems the only time we hear about anything like this is when the media needs a story and I guess they don't always think this is important.

Marka said...

If only we would show such respect more often than we do.

Jillynne said...

Not a dry eye here, either...

About Ours Good One Home said...

Oh Karie, I'm so glad you got to go. What a wonderful way to honor this man who served our country.