Monday, February 18, 2008

Life

My life is uneventful right now, which is just alright with me. Sickness seems to have prevailed in our home. This has been the longest that any of us have been sick, or at least recovering from being sick. Dustin came down with the flu in early January; I came down with it when my sister left. Although the flu is gone, the lack of energy, dry cough, headache because of coughing so much, and now sinus infection has been a delight to experience. Ken was saved by the “flu” shot although all the doctors said that the flu that everyone is getting was not covered by the shot. Lucky Ken.

It has been so funny to watch Daria during this whole ordeal. If you are a family member and you are sick, Daria will start drinking gallons of vitamin C, she will not even come near you, will not let you kiss or hug her, and doesn’t want you breathing on her or anything she owns (she must have some exception to that rule because when her friends are sick she will still play with them, apparently only family is contagious). One day when Dustin was getting over the flu Daria was brushing her teeth with the Sonicare toothbrush. I happened to look over and notice that the purple one (hers) was still in the cradle. So I said “Daria, are you using your toothbrush?”, “yes”, “well isn’t yours purple?” “yes”. After which she looked at the one she was using and realized it was DUSTIN’S!!! I’ve never seen someone wash their mouth out so quickly. I could not contain the laughter! She had gone to great lengths to not be “exposed” to Dustin and now she was brushing her teeth with his toothbrush. I must admit, even under normal circumstances the thought of using someone else’s toothbrush is disgusting.

Daria still did not get sick. Then the other day she said, “Why am I the only one who has not been sick” To which I then explained Murphy’s Law to her. She acquired pink eye the next day. Go figure. Most of our neighbor friends have been sick too and I think we are just passing various forms of sickness back and forth between houses.

Today, was a good day though. I felt the best I have in over 2 weeks and got more done today then I have during that whole time.

Because I had most of my energy back (still coughing but rarely and not enough to make a pounding headache) I ran all the errands I should have run the past month. I made 5, yes count them 5 returns all to different places. It felt so good to get the return pile gone!

This morning Daria asked me to put her hair in ponytails. She almost never asks me to do something with her hair. So I did. She looked so super cute with her ponytails and wearing her light blue snowflake shirt. At breakfast She and Dustin ended up in some sort of altercation resulting in Daria’s breakfast being spilled on her shirt. Angrily she stomped upstairs to change. New shirt. Back downstairs to finish breakfast. This time she accidentally spilled more of her breakfast on her second shirt. Tears and anger as she went back up stairs to change again. She came down, with her ponytails a little unkept and a wrinkled green short sleeved shirt. She said “mom, I'm having a horrible day”.

Life happens.

4 comments:

Celeste said...

Sorry to hear that you've all been sick but happy to hear that your all getting better. I loved the toothbrush story though, as you said, the thought of using someone elses toothbrush does make my stomach turn. We haven't caught the dredded flu here, yet! BUT everyone around us has. I would be so happy if we somehow made it through the flu-season without catching it. We're not big on the whole flu-shot thing so we never get them and it just so happens, we haven't needed them. We've never had a flu break out in our family :) Knock on wood!!!

Jillynne said...

I'm glad you're starting to feel better, I am starting too, too. ;o) The energy thing is the biggest downfall of this flu, I think. For me it's been very limited, and even though I'm starting to feel better, the energy level is not quite coming back as fast as I'd like.

I'm sorry Daria had such a tough beginning to the day -- hopefully it got better later.

When you talked about putting pigtails in her hair I got one of those twinges of sadness I get when I think about having only one child. I always wanted the experience of pigtails and dresses. LOL No such luck.

The flu has been making its way through Colorado, I guess. Phil says that everyone at work is suffering from it. Lucky Ken for avoiding this strain -- it's a doozy!

Jonah said...

So sad you are having such a rough time over there. Hope everyone's over the worst of it! Tell Daria I feel like I spill milk on everyshirt I wear...everday...figuratively speaking!

Becky said...

What a great blog entry- it read so well and was so funny. The toothbrush story is awesome and poor Daria and the shirts. She and I are clearly different as I would have gotten a wet dish rag and wiped off the spilled whatever it was. Yep, that was real life- sorry you have been so sick. WE HAVE TOO!