Sunday, February 10, 2008

Catching up

So if you're like me you may often have this mental list of things you want to blog about, but never really have the time to do so. I'm not going to let my lack of accomplishing my mental lists get the better of me so here goes the first of my "old" blog posts.
As a parent of a girl and a boy I'm almost always amazed, sometimes on a daily basis at the stark difference. Take for instance a leisurely Saturday with nothing to do but play with the neighbor friends. The boys scatter off with various ball and stick sort of activities, running here and running there.

The girls, 4 of them in this case, stole off into one of the houses behind closed doors with oodles of surprising ideas on their minds. Fast forward about 6 hours later (the girls still stuffed up behind doors).

Pause...We are lucky to have such great neighbors on all sides of us. Some we get to spend a lot of time and others we spend time with them when we get the chance. We are also lucky that all of the adults enjoy each other's company and super lucky that the kids love playing with each other (love is an understatment as it's often like peeling glue off of a shirt to bring the kids back home).

So on this night we all ended up at K.C. and Michelle's house. Finally the girls emerge with the request that we all close our eyes. Once we were allowed to open them we were each presented with a hand made, individually designed pillow, thus the workings of their hard labor all day long. Count them... at least 11 pillows and one shirt (for Trey).

Not only was this super sweet realizing that all day long they cut and sewed and stuffed what they could of scrap fabric, but it brings me back to the difference between these girls and the boys. While the boys were conquering the world, the girls were thinking of others and I'm sure thrilled with the anticipation of our surprised faces as we each received our very own pillow.

I also thought how cool it was that they kept themselves busy. In a world where kids often find it impossible to be creative because they are so used to being entertained, I loved the wholesome, creative project they came up with. Besides, how many girls this age do you know who can just whip up a pillow and shirt out of scraps and a brain full of ideas!! Impressive.

the happy recipients

the talented seamstresses.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I do wish we had more "children" around here...or that the schedule of the few families we know (trust) would ever MESS. I grew up in a neigborhood much like this one, but back than my mom trusted "me" to ride my bike alone to the library>>>not so much anymore. I do have a few friends who live in what I might call and manufactored neighborhood who's children do from time to time get together - but there are still reservations, one child can play outside but not inside anyone's home, one child would rather be anywhere BUT home and one child just moved but is never home so it's hard to get to know anyone!

This is going to sound weird, yet I didn't really know you had a sister? OK, so I might of had it filed somewhere in the back of my mind. I'm glad she got to visit.

Karie said...

LOL! Yes I have a sister and a brother, and a step-sister and step-brother, but I would guess to say that since we've not lived near each other for a good 6 years and our conversations tend to focus on our kids, that it's easy for us to forget what each other's extended family dynamics are. We had a wonderful visit with my sister, WAY TO SHORT of a visit, but fun none the less.

Ashley Mason said...

oh my gosh that's my mom and dad's old house. weird.

on a different note, I MISS YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can we schedule some phone time? after 8 pm is best for me. plus I need to invite yall to shawns 30th surprise party. April 19th. Be there or be square.

Becky said...

I am way impressed with those girls! and you are so lucky to have such good neighbors- that is something never to take for granted. Good job teaching your girls how to sew, too. You get that credit, you know.

Monica said...

What cute girls and cool project! Amazing that they just whip that up without prodding or adult help/supervision!

Karie said...

Ashley I know! It is weird!

I can't take the credit for teaching them, Kat who has sewn since she was probably 9 guided them.

Jillynne said...

During my recent visit I was privileged to be able to see these pillows first hand. I think the girls did a wonderful job -- and, like everyone else, I'm so impressed with the girls' initiative and ingenuity!

I was also privileged to meet some of these fabulous neighbors and their children. Everyone was very nice.

It reminded me of our neighborhood cul-de-sac, which was very much like that. Everyone knew each other, and children drifted from one house to the next to play. The Cul-de-sac where Damion lived during his middle school years was kind of like that, too. It's hard to find neighborhoods like this where you know everybody, and trust them, too! ;o) It's great that you have that. :o)

BTW -- Michelle -- I'm the sister. ;o) LOL Nice to meet you. :o)

Miss you already, Kare-Bear.
Love,
Jillynne