Tuesday, February 5, 2008

LOST

I’ll bet you some of you were probably thinking of that strange TV show! Ha, ha.

So we all know the strange phenomenon about lost socks from the dryer. You know, pairs go in, singles come out. I’ve never figured that one out. Well the other day I threw a load of laundry in, which included a pair of Dustin’s soccer shin guard socks. For those mom’s out there who’ve had kids in soccer you know what I’m talking about. Those white socks that go to the knee with the thick plastic guard sewn in them. Yes those are it. Shin guards go in washer. Load of clean clothes come out of washer directly into dryer. Dry clothes come out of dryer onto couch. That’s when I discovered that there was only 1 shin guard!!!! Ok, sock missing I can see, but these shin guards just can’t slip into a small crack or get sucked into the lint vent. I’m sure I looked like a stumped spectacle as I climbed in and all around the washer and dryer looking for this extra shin guard. I checked in and out of the couch, the laundry basket, any place I thought it might have gone (as if it could jump out and go somewhere on it’s own). Nothing, gone, vanished! It’s sort of like the Bermuda triangle only in my own home. So this pair wasn’t that expensive, but I was pleased with the fact that I was going to get two seasons out of those puppies. Now with a game this Saturday I’m faced with the fact that I might have to buy a new pair and what to do with a perfectly good left over single shin sock. Of course there is also the chance that if I purchase a new pair, then the old one will be found of course, making me feel like I wasted money buying a new pair.

Like many of you I was saddened by the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley. What a faithful example he was. I remember a feeling of sadness and for a moment thought this must be what the Saints felt like in 1844. I enjoyed each of your blogs that honored him and I agreed with all of your words and thoughts. There’s truly not a prophet that I haven’t liked, those who lived during my lifetime and those who’ve I’ve studied. But President Hinckley is the only prophet who’s served at time in society such as this with its complex problems and issues and he served with such energy and hope. Never have I seen a prophet connect with the youth as he did. I will sorely miss his humorous personality always ready to make a clean joke of something. In fact one of my friends sent me (a year ago) something funny that happened while he was in the temple. Apparently he was acting as a sealer for one of his grandchildren’s weddings. While passing the sealer’s office there was a note on the door reminding the sealers that sealings should only last 30 minutes. President Hinckley said “When did that change? I thought sealings were supposed to last forever!” He was a funny man! I could go on ad on about what I loved about him, but I would have to resort to posting his complete biography that Sheri Dew wrote…..so I won’t. I will however post my absolute favorite picture of him and Marjorie. Whenever I’m bogged down with wishing I looked like the world’s view of beauty I think of this picture and am reminded of the almost 80 years of marriage built on the foundation of Christ. It doesn’t get better than that. By the way, if you’ve not read the book “Letters” which is a compilation of Sister Hinckley’s letters to her children, grandchildren and to President Hinckley, it’s a worthwhile quick little book.

With the passing of President Hinckley, the church moves forward with a new presidency. I love how the workings follow a proper order. Ok, I was so thrilled with the calling of Dieter F. Uchtdorf. There has not been a talk he has given that I have not listened to over and over. Then there is the media with the throng of questions, that they ask over and over just hoping for a different answer. I had to laugh when the news reporter commented on Uchtorf being the first non-American born called to the first presidency. Now I know what she was really asking since the church is worldwide, but I wish she would have done her research. Duh, John Taylor wasn't born in America…. do we need to go down the list? Further I wish society would stop thinking that the leadership of our church is “the top of the ladder” as if it’s like a business with a CEO. Because it’s not.


My Great Aunt died on the 28th. She would have been 99 this year, and she’s the last surviving child on my father’s paternal side. Another great loss.

I was blessed to have a wonderful 3-day visit from my sister. We quickly immersed her our daily routine, eating lunch with the kids at school, helping Daria with her times tables, throwing the football with Dustin, playing volley ball with me up at church (that was fun!) and the highlight was playing a duet with Daria. This was planned. Daria picked the piece out and we sent her a copy before she came. So they were both prepared. I caught it on video and will post it later. I think we should make it a tradition. The visit was too short and I want her to come back soon!

The unfortunate ending to a good visit was that my sister came down with the flu while she was here. Huge disappointment! But I’m glad she wasn’t in some other country when she got sick. I took her to the Dr. who claimed she had a sinus infection. WHATEVER!! When does a sinus infection give you chills, fever, aching sore body, horrible caught, headache, sick stomach. To no avail we left with a prescription for antibiotics for her “fake” sinus infection. The next day I caught her sinus infection (you didn’t know they were contagious did you!). Fortunately the Dr. I went to said I had the flu, so I got the proper medicine. Go figure.


Last night for family home evening we had a lesson on being “shepherds” and feeding the Lord’s sheep (showing them love and kindness) and the Good Samaritan on Loving Your Neighbor, but I put the focus on “loving our family members and acting as shepherds to them”. Lately our home is full of sibling fighting EVERY day. It gets old, and I get grumpy. So I figured a nice fun family lesson would help. So far it’s lasted one day. The kids were very loving, helpful and playful with each other today. Only once did Daria get a bit snippy towards Dustin who then said “Daria, feed your sheep! Baaahhh Baaahhhhh” I thought I was going to cry laughing.

8 comments:

Celeste said...

Ok, so I think that there must be some sort of secret tunnel inside the dryer where all the socks (and shin gaurds) escape through. What we need to do is secretly install surveillance cameras inside all of our dryers and then we can catch it on tape. No more secret passage way to freedom for our most useful socks!! We'll show them whose boss!! :)

SouthernPeach said...

Just save the extra sock, the other one comes around, you will have it's match! And bonus... you will have two pairs to switch out.

Glad you had a nice visit with your sis.

Hugs

Jonah said...

You are so funny...I love the baa baa from Dustin!

karen said...

I know--I have a half laundry basket with "one sock wonders" that has mystified me. As soon as I throw them away, however, they magically appear again out of nowhere. I'm cracking up about the "Feed My Sheep". At least the message sank in...

Unknown said...

I have a half basket two of socks...and we are only 3, what's to be expected when we add another! AHHHH - I have a friend who actually puts a colored piece of thread to help identify the matching white socks. I've heard of people putting all the socks in one of those laudry bags, which I'm sure helps but who has the time. I can just see Jamie's face if I asked him to "to" another things or add another "rule" as my dad would say!!!

As for Dustin, love the comment. Really, it's hard right now to be pregnant so anytime I hear a good/funny story about children it helps me remember WHY I'm doing this!!!!

Hugs

Jillynne said...

I had such a wonderful time with you and the "Fam" during my visit! It was lovely being immersed in your day-to-day lives, since we live so far apart and are unable to enjoy these times on a regular basis. You have a very special family, and I was really impressed with how everyone worked together. I don't think the kids had any real altercations with one another while I was there--they can be proud of their good behavior. ;o)

Unfortunately, my flu followed me to Honduras where it ingected my poor husband as well. :o( Some sinus infection! LOL

Aah -- the socks -- mine usually show up eventually, so I have a little stack that alternately grows and dwindles on the shelf above the dryer. When one particular sock has lived on the shelf for over six months it gets tossed out. Oh well -- it's a never-ending battle, eh?

Thanks for taking such good care of me while I was so sick, and for the fun activities while I was well. I hope to come again and spend even more time with you. Three days just isn't enough time!

Love,
Jillynne

Shauna said...

I thought you were going to give me insight into the show . . .ha-ha!
I totally agree with your post about the new presidency. I am excited and look forward to spring session of conference this year.
Hey, on a side note, do you know who has the handle of "broken" on blogspot?
Email me . . .

Cheri C. said...

First of all... So, Ken's birthday is the 26th... I can't ever remember the date even though you tried to teach me a way (old age)...

Second, now you have better odds about the shin guard if one of these gets eaten by the dryer... You will still have a match...

Then, I can't believe that great minds think a like again as that is my all time favorite picture of the Hinckley's. I actually got permission from Sis. Dew (she has the rights... had to find that out from the photographer) to send me a copy to hang on my wall for inspiration as to my goal towards marriage. I also have what he said in general conf. the week. Sis. H. passed away... we've traveled through sunshine... I LOVE that picture!!!