Friday, April 27, 2007

Wacky Week


I've intended to post, but this week started out so wacky.

Saturday was crawfish day. So we spent the evening at our friend's house for a crawfish boil. The kids played with the crawfish before we boiled them. They transferred the crawfish from a big bucket to the wagon. I didn't think this was to swell of an idea but let it go. About 15 minutes later I hear Daria say "Help, the crawfish are getting away!". Apparently the back gate to the wagon came open. The crawfish were all over the driveway. No problem, they are not that fast. We had them scooped up in no time.

Also on Saturday I came down with the strangest ear ache, you know one of those odd things that in the middle of the dark night your mind begins to wonder and you think you have some strange disease. Well, it hurt terribly, and was gone later in the week.

Sunday, we had ward conference at Church and that means the choir sang. Ken and I joined the choir several months back. Ken's wanted to join the choir for several years but with small kids we just didn't think it would be enjoyable. We are at a stage now where Daria and Dustin can sit quietly while the choir practices. It's not like we have these amazing singing voices, we just like to sing and they don't mind having us. We sang "He is Risen" and "I'm a Child of God". This is actually the second time we sang. The first time was on Easter. We sang a fantastic version of "Behold the Great Redeemer" and "Jesus Once of Humble Birth". The most amazing part of the whole day was actually watching Dustin sit so quietly with our friends down in the congregation. Dustin didn't move an inch. He sat there the whole time, not a word, and right in the same place. Ken and I were amazed and both exclaimed on how maybe that is the trick to getting him to sit calmly on Sunday's, stick him with someone else (not really but the thought did cross our minds)

Tuesday night a storm blew in. I was working on my computer adjusting some pictures I took for some friends' kids who were going to prom. The wind came first and so I had no thoughts of turning off the computer. The lights flickered once. Still, there was no lightning. So I continued to work. The lights flickered a second time and my computer went off. No biggie this has happened before, but this time it did not come back on. Now anyone who knows me that losing my computer would be like my house burning down. EVERYTHING is on that computer. I was in a momentary shock of course. Long story short and the miracle of it was that I prayed my heart out and sure enough Wednesday evening Ken brought this gadget home that can test your hard drive, and I found that the hard drive was intact. Ken said "Karie, you have an external hard drive, don't you have your stuff backed up?" One would think I do, with as organized as I am, but I've been busy and hadn't backed up since January. I think I've learned my lesson.

So the computer was up and running by Thursday night which put me in a pinch. I've got several projects that I was working on, the most important was my nephew's graduation announcements, which by the way are pretty cool. Fortunately I had the announcements all printed out. I couldn't imagine if I lost those. So I've spent the rest of my time catching up.
Tonight was to be the first free night Ken has had home from his EMT classes. So we decided to spend it as a family, dinner and a fun game of tennis. Dustin said his stomach hurt but we didn't think anything of it. This usually means he needs to go to the restroom. So we headed out for dinner anyway. Fast forward to our meal, by this time Dustin wasn't even eating. I looked at him and I said "Are you ok?". He looked horrible and I saw that bottom lip quiver and I knew instinctively what was coming next. I said as I grabbed him as fast as I could "are you going to throw up?", he said no, but then he started to cry which is always a tale tale sign that he is going to throw up. So we rushed to the bathroom but didn't make it. I was the recipient of his release but only because I was shoving his face into my shoulder because I didn't want to risk getting any other patrons messy or disgusted. It was pretty disgusting I might say and a sure way to make one lose their appetite. The amazing thing is once we were in the bathroom and he was done, he felt so much better (who wouldn't). We promptly left, went home and changed clothes. Amazingly enough he is feeling just fine but I'm watching him like a hawk.

Other exciting news is Dustin registered for Kindergarten. He was pretty excited. I had had to fill out a pound of paperwork. There is one sheet where they ask you about your child. Some of the questions were just silly. Like, what is your child's attention span? Hello! he is 5! so I figured for a silly question I would give a silly answer. I wrote something like, "Isn't that relative? give him Legos and he's focused all day, reading lessons 30 minutes". I mean come on anyone can focus on something they like. Funny.

Daria lost her 8th tooth. The Bailey Family Tooth fairy brought her another poem, one dollar and some toothpaste. Along with the 8th tooth Daria will be turning 8 this next week. This means that her baptism will be this month. We are all very excited. She is super excited because all of her grandparents will be coming.

Ken has the top grade in his EMT class so far. It's gruelling!

Me, well I'm always busy with the mom stuff! but no complaints here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OOOO - Karie...when is the baptism? I'd so miss church here on Sunday tomake it, but I understand if it's just a family thing. Little Daria is going to be 8. I can honestly say I remember her when she was so very toddler like! I know others who knew her as a baby and you should at least e-vite them (Billings come to mind). Hugs, M