Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Trading Spaces

What do two parents do when the rain begins at 9:45pm and 2 kids end up in their bedroom because they are scared to sleep in their rooms when it's raining??? (well Daria is afraid of sleeping in her room when it rains. Dustin says he's afraid but only because Daria says she is.)

Ken and I decided to take the opportunity to push their buttons. We were both in a funny mood so we began to talk and tease and make all sorts of noise. Before long complaints from the kids like "can you just go to sleep?", "you're being to loud," "I asked politely mom, and you're still talking." This made us laugh and we just couldn't stop. The more we laughed the more angry the kids got. We reminded them over and over that if they wanted peace and quiet they could go back to their own beds. Screams of "No!" were belted out. So we continued to laugh and make jokes. Daria said "You're not obeying!, now I'm going to be tired and I don't want to fall asleep at school, I've done that before once in 1st grade and it was embarrassing!" "This is the worst night of my life!" (I told her that if this was the worst she ever experiences she is lucky)

This went on for quite some time. Ultimately it was a lot of fun. At times the kids were mad and then at times laughing. I related to Daria that just the other night she and Dustin got the giggles and there was nothing I could say or do to get them to stop and calm down. It was as though the shoe had been placed on the other foot and the kids got a small dose of what it was like to ask someone to stop laughing and calm down.

Eventually we did! The unfortunate side of it was that all 4 of us were tired today.

I just have to say a quick word tonight about our Home Teachers who came by tonight. We've always had pretty cool Home Teachers (for you non-Mormon folk, those are two men who come by once a month to check on the family, see how we are doing, give us a lesson etc.). Well, we certainly have a great set right now. It's a father son team. Brother G. (I don't list last names on my blog for privacy reasons) and his son Ethan are so genuine. I love how they come each month totally ready to just enjoy our family. Ethan is a spectacular young man, ready to graduate, very studious and heavily involved in the Drama organization at school. Tonight he gave a great lesson on prayer and he always has the kids mesmerized. He usually comes with a nifty magic trick. But tonight Brother G. had the magic trick. He stuck a dime, then penny, then nickle, then quarter in Daria's hand. We all saw it. Then he had her close her fist and turn her hand over and back up. When she opened it all the change was there except the dime. With that, they ended their visit and we were left pondering on where in the world the dime went!!!

Anyway, it was a fantastic visit and I really admire this father and his son. The kids look forward to their visits each month.

2 comments:

Ashley Mason said...

I love this! Isnt it so fun when your kids get a little glimpse of what it's like to be a parent?!

Jonah said...

Okay I've gotta see the dime trick! That's too cool!!