This is a shot I took of Daria last weekend. Because I've not been blogging much, you may not be aware that I'm doing photography regularly now.
No I haven't given up on blogging. I have however realized how easy it is to let the busyness of daily life or the easiness of technology overshadow some of the things I enjoy that add sustenance to my day. For the record, I love to blog. I love to read my friends blogs. Period. I just absolutely love reading my close friend's blogs, and I like to blog. I love it more than I will ever even remotely like Facebook. In fact I have a like/hate relationship with Facebook. There are only a handful of reasons I like Facebook. 1. Easy to find and catch up on people or acquaintances that we've lost contact with over the years. 2. Get a message or pictures out to a lot of people quickly. 3. Keep up on events or groups of interest. But let's be honest, how is it possible to maintain over 300 friendships? if all those people were close "friends" would we have had to track them down? Or do we just have a fascination of peaking into someone elses life? The reasons I love to hate Facebook are too many to list here. But it boils down to one thing, it takes a lot more to maintain and fortify a relationship than a comment on Facebook will ever do.
Ok, ok, before anyone becomes offended or feels guilty, I am NOT trying to tell people they shouldn't use Facebook or that it's a bad thing. I mean, quite frankly I use Facebook too. It has its usefulness. But I still love to hate it. But for me personally I would rather pick up the phone and hear my friends voice, go to lunch, or read their blog describing life's ups, downs, joys, sorrows, defeats & victories, than to read a one line comment on Facebook that is nothing more than glorified texting. Both share information but I prefer the blogs. Phone calls, time in person, and blogs make me feel connected with my friends. It's the blogs that make me realize that we are all in the same big boat, good days, bad days, etc. For the record I recognize that blogging is not for everyone. I totally get it. But who can't pick up the phone? There's not one shoe that fits all, and sometimes the only way one may know about what is going on in someone elses life is through Facebook. But as I look back on the previous months where my blogging has slowed and where my "checking" Facebook activity has gone up made me think about how I spend my time. How do I put energy into my friendships? Is it good use of time that strengthens my relationship with that person? It's that "good" "better" "best" scenario that each person needs to decide for themselves what is most important to them. As usual, technology can be a blessing but with it always comes the challenge to maintain real one on one contact with another human being. It also challenges the ability to have a "real" thoughtful long conversation. Gone are the days of letter writing where the deep thoughts of one's heart were penned on pages of paper. I'm a hopeless lover of turn of the century letters where loved ones penned endless pages of their life to each other. E-mails and blogs took their place. But I've noticed another trend. Even e-mail writing has almost diminished and seems to be dominated by forwards or news and no longer the electronic way of sending a letter. I'm guilty of that too. Blogs have slowed. But one thing that has continued to rise is Facebook, yet often it lacks depth, substanance and doesn't really tell someone what is REALLY going on in their life. Like anyone else my challenge is to make more phone calls, spend more time, and write a little bit more.
I read a book years ago, titled "In the Company of Women". I don't remember too much about the book accept that it detailed how women are relationship beings. We are happier and even have better marriages when we have friendships. But it showed the statistics where women are so busy that they really are usually surrounded by endless "close acquaintances" and not "good friends" because they have to many acquaintances and not enough time to develop them into strong friendships. I really believe that is true. I don't ever think I've met a woman who has not said at one time "I wish I had a close friend." Like I said earlier, being a mother is a blessing, being a busy mother has it's blessings, technology has it's blessings...... but as with all things, without moderation, without balance and without nurturing what is important we can miss out on what really IS important.
Again, I did not blog this to make anyone feel bad for not blogging, writing, or calling. Quite the opposite, I wrote it because 1. The original reason I started to blog was to keep my family up to date on the day to day details of my life 2. To journal 3. To "keep it real" inspired by my friend Becky H. (from Utah) who at one time mentioned that she enjoyed blogs that "keep it real". 4. When I print my blog into a Blurb book to read later I want my children to see that even adults struggle with over use of technology and have to re-prioritize. 5. To keep myself accountable to what I think is important in my life.... capturing my personal history, one personal experience and sentence at a time even the relentless boring repetitive routine days.
Years down the road my grandchildren and great grandchildren will be able to get to know me by what I've written about my life. Something that Facebook will never be able to capture.


6 comments:
I've said it many times... I wish we could go back to times before cell phones. I think we used to concentrate on our conversations then. We remembered what was said and treasured the time we talked with each other. I literally can't remember what I say to people any more because I can't remember e-mailing them, texting or leaving a voice mail. I used to love coming home and playing the answering machine, returning calls and getting caught up. NOW, don't think I don't appreciate reading the blogs of my friends. It's a way to catch up with them at any time of the day. I am with you in the opposition of technology... love it and hate it as well... I'm with ya sister...
It truly is freaking how much we think alike...seriously! You know I agree with you 100%, well maybe 99% because of that "how hard is it to pick up the phone/everyone can pick up the phone" part. I'm weird about that, I know, but not EVERYONE can just pick up the phone and call :) Anyway, back to what I was saying...I love the fact that you are willing to see areas in your life that you need improvement! LOVE IT!!! And that you're willing to admit it...a lot of people can't. That's why I look up to you and why you inspire me! I'm so glad we're friends and that you're willing to put up with a friend who isn't too fond of phones but LOVES texting!!
Oh, one more thing, I'm not a fan of Facebook either...just for the record :)
Well, you already know how I feel about FB. I actually changed my security so that only I can see what is on my page and every few weeks just link my blog as my status.
I love blogging. I love reading blogs and i Love hearing people voices. You can tell a lot by a hello or by a response to "how are you doing." And I like that I am able to print my blog each year as a journal
I started to just do that "pick up the phone" whenever I think about someone. I send an email or message on FB to get their number and then call them I save it to my phone and to my real paper address book for the future... as in when i change phones. I think that for me, this is a way to have that real connection with people that matter to me
What a great post AND an mazing picture you took.
One of the first "lessons" I taught in church was titled "Loaves and Fishes"...I should look it up (point to me made in a bit). It talked about how amazing the advent of such techonologies which allowed Conference to be viewed by so many at the same time. To say the least, that was just a portion of what is possible these days. That talk was given before the power of streaming over the internet. There is such good that comes from techonology. There is also such strangeness too. I have a good friend, we wrote when I moved away from my "home town" and only about 3 yrs ago did we stop sending Christmas cards. The thing is, that's ALL we did. Our lives had changed such over time that we were not the same girls we had been and really had a hard time relating to each other. When my dad died, she send a very heart felt Sympathy card>>>mind you, lots of people sent cards, hers meant the most to me. Guess how she knew my dad had died, our home town News Paper where we ran his obit. I found out THROUGH the FB grapeline that her husband fell from a horse and broke his back and was in surgery! I spend the WHOLE DAY on FB - hoping to hear good news. Mind you, I have still yet to pick up the phone and see how she is doing...it could be that I don't have her phone number, but let's face it - I could find it if I wanted too. I have at least 10 good reasons why I don't call, not of which are really good reasons. What I find most annoying about "real" friendships is how people (me included on this at times) have such strange priorities that they find so many ways to justify their weird behavior AND somehow us FB to explain that bad behavior. I'm sure I'm as clear as mud, but what I know is if I wanted to find that talk I used to teach my lesson - I could, with a couple clicks and for that reason I will continue to have a FB account, just in case - someday I need to click around and find out more information. I have sort of been "away" from it for weeks now. I don't even worry now that I have lost tons of my blog links and tons of my phone numbers, (redid my blog and reformatted my computer and didn't back up my old palm software correctly...arrhh). Even 4 yrs ago I would be a basketcase because I lost those numbers/addresses! One of my many justifications for getting on FB was that I could at least tell if my brother was alive that day (strange - I know). Guess what, he closed his FB account! Guess I'll just have to send and e-mail or pick up the phone...or maybe text him:-)
I'm very blessed to have such good friends. You ladies are wonderful! and it was good to read your thoughts. It's funny, as I read each response I realized that one thing I enjoy is a good conversation with a friend, something I've enjoyed with each of you. I can always learn something!
Oh, and Celeste, I forgot to mention, several months back a gal during a RS lesson mentioned a situation with a friend who had an extreme fear of making phone calls (not that you do), and how it taught her to learn to communicate with her friend in different ways. I was reminded again that we all have different ways of communicating and that we all have different needs in that area too. It was pretty cool.
Anyway, I like the usefullness of technology but not the challenge it presents me personally of how to balance my time and relationships. Something I need to improve on.
Love to each of you!
Amen! I agree with you and it makes me want to go to lunch with you! Do you want to go to lunch? Oh wait, Rachel has the flu! It is nice to read your blog. For the record, I LOVE (am in LOVE with) that picture!!!!! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment