Have you ever had a friend that you've lost contact with and wish you could re-connect? Well, I have. I'm sure some of my other long time friends are tired of me always asking "Hey, have you heard from so and so?" Maybe it's the genealogist in me, maybe I'm just sentimental, either way I think good friendships are hard to find, and thus worth the effort to "find" them again. I had a super great friend in elementary school. There were actually about 4-5 of us who were pretty close, we all lived in the same neighborhood. Elkie was the first one to jump ship, not by her own doing but by her family moving to another state. I remember we kept in contact via letters periodically, and a few times when we got older. The last time we spoke was in 1992 fifteen years ago. After that I lost contact. I've periodically tried various ways to research where she might be but always came up empty handed, until the other night. I came across some old items and just thought "hey, I'm going to do some more research" which I admit I'm pretty darn good at. Unbelievably I was able to find her parents location and the next morning left a message hoping I got the right family. Amazingly it was the right family and as soon as her mother gave her the message she phoned me that same night. We had a totally great conversation catching up on everything in each other's lives.
Now, not only is finding an old time friend fun, but finding that they are still a pretty neat person with a lot of similar interests and qualities is even more of a cool thing. Add to that the fact that even though we have not spoken for 15 years it seemed like time hadn't passed at all. What a great blessing!
Just for memories sake I had to post one of our 5th grade pictures. Ok, I have no idea what was going on with my hair that day!!! except we were at a skating rink, so I'm sure I was thinking I was lookin' cool! Enjoy!


5 comments:
Okay, you are SO cute!! I love that picture! Fun post!
Let me just say that I have "photo booth" photos that are FAR worse than that!! I may have to dig one up and post it just to make you feel better about yours. I think you're totally cute!! And, of course, wearing a big smile like you always do!
Can we get you to post some of your photos a few years later than that ....like when you were about 17?
Very funny Ken!
Oh yeah! you must post some "teen" pics of yourself, Karie. We all have 'em, you know!
It's great to see the picture of you two again. And I still say you should get her permission to post her current picture alongside one of your own!
(Only sisters can nag like this, right?)
Post a Comment