By the title of my post most of you are probably wondering what planet I live on. It's only August, school hasn't started yet, and here I am mentioning gingerbread and Halloween!!!
Chalk it up to the end of the summer scramble to fill up our time. Quite frankly we've been playing so much that I think we are just coming up with funny things to do.
A few weeks ago our family home evening lesson was on "Gracious George the Gingerbread Man". It is a story about a Gingerbread man who goes from house to house doing good. The idea was to get the kids to help each other out more. We have a little felt gingerbread man and when you do something for someone you leave him there and the person who finds him then gets to do something for someone else. Our neighbors joined in (they made a felt man as well). Both George's did a lot of traveling around their respective houses during the week. But, during that particular family night we ended to late to make any gingerbread cookies. Fast forward to this week. 4 kids and 3 adults with nothing else to do (yeah right). After family home evening (our neighbors daughter Kat gave the lesson) we decided to make the ginger cookies. I pulled out my maternal grandmother's gingersnap cookie recipe. I've never used it but thought it was worth a try. These gingerbread cookies turned out so moist and yummy that we made a second batch last night. Only this time we made ginger snowmen and snails. We named them things like "Truthful Trina" and "Service Sally the Snow woman". I think there was just as much sugar, flour, and dough on the floor as there was on the cookie sheets. Either way they tasted good.
As most of you know Ken is now a volunteer EMT. Tuesday was "National Night Out". Ken had to drive the ambulance to a few community events. But first he stopped by the house and gave all the kids a ride around the block. I told them that they can say that they've rode in an ambulance, and didn't even have to pay any co-pay!
This week should have been dubbed "safety week" in our home. Not only did the kids get to tour an ambulance and a fire truck Tuesday night. Thursday was the fire safety day at the library. The kids listened to a fireman speak about fire safety and then get dressed in his full uniform. This really helps the kids not be fearful of a fireman. Once they are fully dressed, they can look like some alien to a small child. No one wants their kid afraid of a fireman when they are in a fire. I never thought of it like this but the first time Daria saw a firemen dressed like this she was a bit alarmed. Of course the Darth Vader sounding voice that comes out of the breathing apparatus doesn't help either. Thus the reason we took the opportunity to attend this event.
Before you know it Halloween will be upon us. Why do I care you ask? As you know my friend and I have been having a blast sewing costumes for our family each year. We really wanted to do Civil War this year but decided to do that for next year as it will take us about that long to make the dresses. It may seem sort of silly but it's a great way to learn to sew and a lot of fun. Add to it my love of history and it's right up my alley to make some sort of historical outfit. The kids love it and the husbands don't seem to mind. So this year we are going to do renaissance.
Jenni, Kat, Logan, Daria, Dustin, and I loaded up for a trip to Joanne's fabric. This is actually a treat for all the kids because they love looking at the costume patterns and fabric. Seriously, my kids are easily entertained. Four $1.99 patterns (on sale from $16.00) and some really awesome Brocade fabric later (also on sale) we left completely satisfied with our upcoming sewing adventure. At first I thought I would post the pattern picture for the dresses I'm making for Daria and myself, but I'll just let you be surprised. I will be going as a noble lady, Jenni I think will be more of a peasant, Kat and Daria will be noble, Ino will be a Jester, Ken and Dustin will be more of a knight. So, let the sewing begin.
Hmmmmm, we still have time to enjoy August.


2 comments:
Costumes, already!?!?!? Man, you're making me look bad! :)
And I'd love the ginger bread recipe. I'm always looking for good recipes to add to my collection. You know what other recipe sounds good....hmmmmmm.....Maybe a tasty potato salad recipe!!! One that someone spent alot of time looking up on the internet! Yeah, that's the one I want!! :)
Wow, Ken looks so professional standing next to that ambulance.
The kids look like they had a blast making (and eating?) those yummy cookies. Great idea for inspiring them to "do good deeds" for each other. You're really creative that way, Kare-Bear.
XXX's and OOO's to everyone!
And lots of love.
Post a Comment