Thursday, August 16, 2007

Being better stewards of the world

My dad (who lives in what I would consider the recycling mecca of the world) sent this link to me. It is fascinating but more than that it is sobering the effect we humans have on the world around us. Check it out.

This is completely worth the time to look at each of the depictions of art and read the captions. Makes ya think! The most amazing pictures was the cell phones about the 16ht picture on the page.

I believe that we are so blessed to have such technology to make our lives so much better than those who came before us. Yet at the same time we've become a very gluttonous, disposable world, unable to buy something and make it last or use it for a long time like our grandparents did. Instead we almost so effortlessly go through things without thinking what happens to them when I'm done???

Thanks to my family who have been a great example of doing their best to not make a negative effect on the earth's resources. Thanks to Heather who is a continued inspiration.

Where we live recycling is difficult because there are not a lot of facilities. But we recycle everything we can. The kids and I make our monthly trips to drop off glass, paper, plastic bags. We keep lights off and try not to run water while brushing our teeth, stuff like that. It seems trivial but I do believe that it is teaching Daria and Dustin to be more respectful and more grateful. Recently at the grocery store I asked for paper. It was hilarious! the clerk looked at me as if she had no idea what paper was. They were however polite. I found something very interesting was when I use plastic I come home with about 25 bags. When I use paper I come home with about 10. They are a little more work to carry but I think it's just another great way to be more active. You laugh, but seriously I was ok with it. I may have to invest in those shopping bags that Heather mentioned.

By the way, I noticed at the store the other day these disposable plates that looked like Styrofoam but they are completely biodegradable, made out of corn. Check it out!!

I really believe that one day we will be accountable for how we managed the earth's resources and while I'm not pointing any fingers, well maybe pointing fingers at myself really, I hope we might all slow down and find different ways to appreciate what we have by being more conscious. In the long run it just might save us some money!

No comments: