Friday, December 16, 2011

Preparing for the Future


I am beginning the stage of motherhood where thoughts like "Have I taught my children all of the important things I want them to know before they are out on their own?" and "Uh, oh, I've only got a  handful of years to teach them all of the thing things I want them to know before they are out on their own?"

We are definitely NOT in the little "toddler/kid" stage anymore, and honestly that realization comes with a pinch of sadness to my heart strings. There is something magical about the younger years of your children's lives. Life was full of exciting new adventures every day when even a sink full of dish soap bubbles and food dye in it can be hours of a fun learning memory making experience. The next trip to the park was the most important event on one's mind. I miss the snuggles and ever constant bubbly childhood joy. Then again, every stage has its place and Daria and Dustin are quickly growing up into a super neat  young woman and young man. I am sure that there will be plenty of exciting new adventures, the playing field is just a bit different, doable and necessary.

When the children were younger most of the "teaching" moments surrounded around safety issues, cleaning up, sharing, and taking care of yourself. As a mother I'm keenly aware that now, every day provides teaching moments, often more detailed and more important as to the effect of ones character.

One of the skills I want Daria to know before she grows up is sewing. She can actually sew somewhat. She has made Dustin pajama bottoms for Christmas the past two years, sewn a apron and a few pillows. But that's not the sewing I want her to know. I'm thinking more on the lines of being able to mend and alter her own clothes, make a blanket, or curtains or even quilt. To many this might seem very old fashioned but I'm hear to tell you that old fashioned or not people sink a lot of money into clothing, altering, and decorating. To add to the dilemma, shopping for modest clothes for a teenage girl is all but impossible with a selection of dresses that look more like a shirt or something a wife would wear to bed. If you can't find what you want to wear then learn to make it. This one skill alone I believe, has a lot of benefits, from learning resourcefulness, frugality, realizing that you don't have to settle for what the manufacturer's provide, and ultimately could be useful time spent when there is "nothing" to do.

Daria wants to re-decorate her room. Most kids like to do this. Most parents go right out and purchase all the new odds and ends, sheets, bedspread, paint, wall hangings, pillows, lamps, clocks, trash can, bulletin boards, etc.  ....... But here is where for our family, I felt that a "teaching" moment was at hand. Sure I suppose I could go out and buy everything and instantly Daria could have this new and improved room ... OR .... she could learn to earn some of it, make some of it and paint the rest, which will require some effort and patience in a world of instant gratification. Part of that will be learning to quilt. Initially this idea was not well received. We actually resurrected the same conversation we had 6 years ago when Daria wanted a new comforter. Instead of sinking money in to some cheap frilly comforter that would last a year or two, I paid my friend to sew a quilt ... a quilt that Daria loves and can take with her when she moves out. This quilt will last 50 years or more! Notice I "paid" a friend. Well, not only will Daria be learning to quilt, I will be learning too. Another added benefit as we can do something together. Still, Daria was not really sold on the idea and rumbled off all sorts of cry cry sob sob reasons why she doesn't want to learn to quilt. Mostly it came down to the fact that she wants to use my sewing machine which is super nice, and not my old clunky one. So I set the issue aside for a while and wouldn't you know something amazing happened.

At church Daria works on what is called the "Personal Progress" program in Young Woman's. It's a pretty big deal and can take 4-6 years to complete. There are 8 values (faith, divine nature, individual worth, knowledge, choice & accountability, good works, integrity, and virtue). They complete 6 experiences in each value and then they have to complete a 10 hour project in each value. Daria loves working on her personal progress. One of the value experiences/project ideas was to learn a new skill that you could use in your future home. All of the sudden she was super excited to learn to quilt and decided that making her own quilt would be her 10 hour project (I'm sure it will be more than 10 hours). It's always better when people decide to do things themselves instead of being forced.

I really think this will be a good experience for her. Accomplishing a task such as sewing a quilt is huge. On black Friday weekend we set off to our favorite material store. Daria picked out a pattern, and the materials she will use for her quilt, which is also going to be the colors of her room. Those materials are pictured above. I think they look fantastic, can't wait to see the finished product both in the quilt and the girl!

1 comment:

Jillynne said...

I am SOOOO jealous! I wish I could quilt with you both! Please tell Daria that I know her quilt will be beautiful, and I know she will love that she made it herself! I remember my first knitting projects -- they turned out so well I ended up knitting everyone something for Christmas. :-)

You mentioned the kids growing up -- it amazes me just how much and how fast in so short a time -- especially when I see their sweet little faces in their pictures at the top of your Blog. Good-NESS! ;-)

XXXOOO from Auntie Jillynne