Saturday, October 8, 2011

Football


Until last year, Dustin has not been interested in playing football. When he became interested we really didn't want to put him in tackle football at this age. Well, ok, "I" did not want to put him in tackle football at this age. When he found out that you couldn't be in football and be in the LOTC he totally dropped the idea of playing football. But true to Dustin's character he is always thinking of possibilities and he finally realized that flag football might be an option. Here was his logic:

* there is no tackle in flag football so you have less injuries.
* play football now until 6th grade that way he can join the LOTC in 7th grade (you can't play football and be in LOTC because the time slots conflict) (LOTC is "Leadership Officer Training Course)

Apparently he wants to get the football out of his system before 7th grade. He's talked about joining LOTC ever since he found out he could. Here is Dustin's plan that he's talked about since he was 7 or 8 years old:

*join LOTC at 12
*earn my Eagle Scout Award
*serve a mission
*go to college at a military academy (this can be combined with the previous step since the military academy's give a 2 year religious leave, it cracks me up that Dustin knows this)
*join the military (one rank up because of his Eagle Scout) as an officer

As a parent it's fun to listen to all of the plans that my children have for their own lives. It will be fun to compare and see how it changes or stays the same as they grow and their interests change.

Now most of you know I really don't have a sports bone in my body. I couldn't tell you one thing about football to save my life and I've never enjoyed watching it. However, I've been told when you have someone to watch it makes all the difference and that has proved to be true. I've really enjoyed watching Dustin play. He's a pretty athletic boy too. He is on the "Colts" this year and so far their team is undefeated. This is a good thing and a good lesson for Dustin to learn because after their first practice he complained that everyone was so small on his team (Dustin is a bit tall for his age). This proves that teams and players can work together at any size.

He's having a lot of fun, is super good at pulling flags and has made several touch downs. The video above shows the touch down he made this morning. The other team pulled his flag but it was after he made the touchdown. Way to go Dustin!!!

1 comment:

Jillynne said...

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Go Dustin! Go Colts! (And nice juke, Dustin!) ;-)

Thanks for posting the video. I sure wish I was there to cheer him on, too! Going to Damion's game in Pee wee football, and then in High School, was SUCH a memorable time for me, and I really miss it. It's great to be able to watch again -- even if it is only through a video. ;-)
Love to all of you!!! XXX OOO!!