Ok, girls, here it is. If you want to save your marriage, DO NOT put potato peals down the kitchen drain. I repeat DO NOT, even if you've put a few down before and it worked, even if you think to yourself while stuffing those down the disposal "hhmmm I really should compost these" but you put them in anyway. It causes great strain on the seasoned marriage, and will test your husband's love for you, even after 17 years. If you enjoy a risky venture and put the peels in the drain KNOW THIS; your husband will end up spending 2 hours on an Easter Sunday afternoon trying to unclog the drain which isn't easy and will leave your kitchen looking like some bomb of dirty potato dishwater exploded in it. You'll have to borrow the plumber snake from the neighbor, who will also politely remind you to never ever put potato peals down the drain. His wife's done it too (apparently I'm not alone). Your husband will also have missed his Sunday afternoon nap which he was looking forward to because all of the after church meetings were canceled due to it being Easter. Clogged drain means no blissful nap on the couch. His knees will hurt from bending in all sorts of positions on the kitchen floor in order to work under the sink. You'll also hear him say over and over "this sucks, this really sucks", which you never hear him say at any other time. You will feel really, really small because there is not much you can do but stand around and watch, and hand a few towels to mop up the water.
Are you laughing yet? I'm tellin' ya, don't try it! I admit, while I was standing there I wondered to myself what Ken really must think being married to me as it seems that every so often I unintentionally do things that create extra work for him. In fact it reminds me of that fateful day a few years ago, you remember the "unfortunate day where Karie destroyed Ken's laptop and truck all at once" (go ahead, click on that link and re-read it just for laughs, I did, well sort of) In fact right now I feel the same way about potato peels as I do about that darn sub woofer magnet. Are guys also born with the knowledge that disposals and potato peels just don't go together? Who ever knew. For more laughs, here's my post about Ken on his business trip with me at home holding his licence hostage. you'll have to scroll down to the paragraph that begins with "not so funny thing 3". Fortunate for me, Ken seems to forget about all of these unfortunate events and retains me as his wife even with all of the extra work I cause him. Here's to 17 years of marriage and countless silly mishaps. Life is always an adventure!
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Okay... now you MUST use a whole heck of a lot more potatoes than I do because. I have NEVER heard this... AND isn't that what the disposal was created for?
Thank goodness I'm not married and won't have to go through that :)
Great reminder, thank you! Eric would NOT be a happy camper either, but,...luckily we are married to these men that are "in it" for the long haul, right to the bitter end, potato peels and EVERYTHING! Hey, BTW, do NOT put lemon/orange seeds in there either, K? :)
Really? No lemon/orange seeds, Beckz? My disposer should be seizing up on me any minute then, since it's citrus season here and all. :(
I do remember the post about the laptop on the subwoofer magnet, Karie. That was unbelieveable. Seriously, NOBODY knows about that bad combination. What a fluke...
happy easter!
And of course it would have to happen on Easter! I did enjoy a good laugh at your expense, so sorry, but it was probably so funny because I could relate so well.
Yeah, I never heard of it either myself, which still makes me wonder why men know so much about things like this. Is there a warning on the disposal installation box? :o)
I've put peels down the disposal before, but just a few. However, on this particular day I was making mashed potatos and yams for our Easter dinner with some friends. So there was probably about 15 potatos worth of peels. Ken was after all a good sport about it (afterwards of course). He also reminded me not to put carrot peels down there either. I'm amazed that we can still learn something new each day! LOL, love to all of you!
How about bird seed down the drain? I did that many years ago, in a rental and it was a total mess. Not good. Hey, I went private on my blog, please send me your email heathergray72@comcast.net
lololol oh my goodness karie. and you say that you are not a funny person! I know the experience was not funny, but the way you wrote it sure was! thanks for a good laugh!!!
Post a Comment