The B-24 and B-17 bombers. Flown during WWII

This picture is for cousin Jonathon who is in the Marines
Dustin's excitement. One cannot just tour a plane or touch it, one must hang on it!
Daria's non-excitement. It wasn't really that bad. She was happy to get her flight pin.
During Spring Break I took the kids to see some WWII aircraft, the B-24J and a B-17G bombers. Daria wasn't overwhelmingly impressed mostly because she was worried that someone would turn the planes on. She hates loud noises. If you paid a whopping $425.00 you could take a ride in one of these metal beasts. I was tempted, REAL tempted, but felt that was a lot of money. I would rather wait for the opportunity to take a ride in something that could fly a little higher and faster. Dustin on the other hand was so excited I practically had to tie a string to his feet so he wouldn't float away with immense glee. He toured in and out of each plane several times, touched them, and even hung from one of the wings (much to my dismay). I could barely keep up with him as he ran in and out. Dustin's a lot smaller than me and can maneuver inside quite easily. As an adult you have to be very strategic about walking through the cramped space. Hard to believe that a crew of 10 grown men could fit inside one. As a souvenir both Daria and Dustin bought a flight wing pin and Dustin also got a .50 caliber machine gun bullet. If you've never seen one in real life you would be surprised at their size. War is real people and I would hate to be on the receiving end of just one of those bullets let alone the some 600+ rounds per minute that it can spit out.
Speaking of planes. As a family each night we've been enjoying the book "Supersonic Saints" by John Bytheway. It's a compilation of stories from LDS pilots. I bought the book to read to Dustin, but the whole family has joined as we read the heroic, and faith promoting experiences of these pilots. It's a great book even if you're not into planes.Karie, Kenneth Cope (a fantastic recording artist and song writer), and Jen
"Bishop Cope, can I have your autograph?"
Also in March the ladies and I attended Time out for Women. Deseret Book had a great program lined up with top notch presenters and performers. It was completely worth the price and time, and as always I love the chance to hang with the gals. An added touch is the presenters and performers make themselves available to the crowd for questions and photo opportunities. Can't beat that! Here are a few photos of some that I met. (I'll post later about our book club and meeting Chris Stewart. It deserves a post of its own)
Karie, Abe Mills of Jericho Road, Terry and Jen. Another stunning performer and Celeste, he lives in your community. Cool eh!
Thanks everyone for sharing your talents !










1 comment:
Oh,...that is so cool that you got pictures with those fabulous people! I went to Time Out last fall here in Logan, ...and I bet there were the same opportunities, but knowing my MIL, she would have been too shy. :)
Post a Comment