Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Life around my house

Before the new school year started my only hopes were that Daria and Dustin would get teachers who have a love of teaching, who would inspire the kids to have a love of learning. Both got great teachers but I'm especially thrilled with Dustin's teacher. She's older, and has been teaching for 19 years. But let me tell you, she is AWESOME! She absolutely loves teaching, loves stimulating the kids minds, she positive and extremely creative. Her husband is a CEO of a very large company so she doesn't have to teach. She teaches because she WANTS to, she loves it and it shows. Every day Dustin will come home and share some great story she has told or something she has taught.

With that said, let me back up a bit. Dustin has always enjoyed having me read him a story. I taught him to read before he started kindergarten, but he was never motivated to use his new skill unless I challenged him to. I having jokingly considered him a kid who doesn't realize he knows how to read. Everyday since school started, when Dustin arrives home he will explain in detail the books that his teacher is reading to the class. He loves these books. He begs for these books. Amazingly it's not any super heroes, and it's nothing modern. The set of books he loves is none other than a series titled "The Happy Hollisters" all written in the 1950's. I admit that his excitement has made me look forward to hearing "what happened in the story today". He informed me that you cannot buy these anymore you have to look on e-Bay (tell me why a 6 year old understands that you can buy things on e-Bay). Normally I try to just check out books at the library, but you can't find these at our library, and since he's been so excited, I felt inclined to purchase a lot of 15 on e-Bay. This he still does not know, it will be a surprise.

So a few weeks ago Daria comes home and while reading a book proclaims to me that when its hot on the bus she sweats and her armpits smell. Seriously I thought, how smelly can a sweet cute little 9 year old girl be? I said "really???" Daria then said while lifting up her arm (she's still reading her book as she's talking only now one arm is up in the air) "yeah, smell". So like any good mother who wants to make sure her daughter understands how to take care of her body, I walk over and still believing since she's my itsy bitsy teeny tiny little girl that it wouldn't smell and I take a huge sniff. WOOAHHH!!! Ok, so long story short, yes my little girl has smelly armpits. I thought to myself "How can this be? You are not even a decade old and you are going to have to wear deodorant?" I don't even think I wore deodorant until I was like 12! I really just can't stand that she is growing up much faster than I like. So, again, like any good mother we take a trip down to the store and smell about 20 different brands and scents of deodorant until she finds the one she likes (she picked the cheapest, that's my girl! learning to be frugal) and now she's taking more frequent showers. I still can't believe it every time I pass the bathroom and see her deodorant sitting on the counter. Well, I'm glad the only thing that is changing is her b.o., and that she still is my super sweet little girl who enjoys little girl things.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Yay, Readerman D!

Hey, "Readerman and Pitgirl", could be the beginnings of a great new comic strip! You said you wanted to start drawing again. :P

Unknown said...

Abigail calls them her "under pits" and she's got a friend who's not even 8 yet that "has" to wear deoderant so it's not too abnormal...my question is, it is a "hormonal" thing or not? How does one look up something like that? I ask only knowing all you have to do these days is "google it". Yes, Karie - they grow up - and so I'm so enjoying my little bitty girl who really is a "little itty bitty" girl right now = now that she's more content and all! Your post makes me want to hold her even more:-) Before she starts to smell...joking here.

Shauna said...

Three cheers for Happy Hollisters! and for teachers who love to teach!

Anna-Lisa said...

Yeah for Dustin--it makes such a difference! And as for little Miss Daria, I would feel the same about my little Miss Olivia--just want 'em to stay young and innocent, but it's part of the deal.