The kids and I went to church this morning. Not at our ward building, no power, no church services (earliest estimate for power for that neighborhood will be next Thursday). I didn’t want to go two weeks without church. I like going to church. It’s actually one of my absolute favorite times and days of the week. Our Stake President encouraged us to visit another chapel if we wanted, so we did. Ken stayed behind with a work crew from church helping a member whose house was severely damaged by the storm. The kids were slightly confused by this so I explained to them there is a difference between “having your ox in the mire” and “pushing your ox in the mire”. Jesus Christ served others, and when a situation like this happens you serve and help regardless of the day of the week.
I’m glad we went to church. We went to the old ward building that we attended when we first moved here. It felt familiar. Sat with a family who used to be in our ward. I reminisced as I looked over to where Greg, Celeste, and Hannah used to sit. Has it really been that long ago? I sure miss them. This building had power but no air conditioning. It was pretty hot, but the talks were just what I needed to hear. This section of town is in the same condition as the rest, pockets of power, storm damage, etc. Many do not have electricity and some without water.
Since we haven’t had church and most of our members still do not have power, we don’t know what the church is doing to help. This Stake Pres. gave an update of conditions. As always, I LOVE hearing about how the church is able to help. Some think we are extremists for being prepared but here is the fact of the matter. When you are prepared, you not only help your own family but you can then help those around you, which is exactly what has been happening. (even the FEMA handbook says that the responsibility to be prepared lies first on the citizen )
1.Before hurricane Ike hit, the church had already dispatched 81,000 hygiene kits, 5000 meals that can feed a family of 4, truck loads of water, blankets, tarps, chain saws, & satellite phones. Bishop’s store houses in this region were stocked. NAM’s pantries were stocked, and 2 shelters up on 2920 that house refugees were supplied.
2.After the storm, 64 Stake Presidents (it must include all of the stakes where the storm hit even up north) participated in a “Stake President Bridge call” to Salt Lakes. They relay to Salt Lake the status & needs of their stakes and wards. All of the stakes were able to take care of the needs of its members. By the 3rd phone call to Salt Lake, all of the members needs had been taken care of.
3.Two bus loads of Mennonites showed up to help (near Beaumont I think), the city was still struggling to assess damages and the City council told the Mennonites that if they wanted to help, go talk to the Mormon Bishop because they would know what to do. Which is what they did, they even camped out on his lawn. The church was able to direct this helpful group of people in what areas needed their assistance.
4. 500 members from San Antonio & Austin to start the clean up. Mayor Jackson thanked the LDS community.
5.All of the buildings were fine; one lost the steeple and pavilion but no other damage.
Here’s a great article from the church web-site
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/mormon-helping-hands-clean-up-after-hurricane-ike
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Okay... So, now that I found you again, I read everything....
I hate that IKE came to your area but then again, I'm glad that it did and that you were safe, of course. It helps me to understand what actually happens. I don't get the "media" interpretation of what happen - which is usually worse than what really happened. thanks for the updates!! And since it is already the 22nd in TX, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I finally got it right!!! Now for Ken's... Have a fun day and a great year!!
Post a Comment