Friday, September 19, 2008

Feeling Blessed

Yesterday I decided to venture beyond my community and run to the store for a few items. The girls used up my last sticks of soft butter to make cookies. Cookie making has been a constant pass time here lately. In fact I can't even count how many batches of cookies have been made in the past month between the 4 girls. They start them at one house, bake them at another, eat them at yet another house. Ok, wait, I wasn't planning on posting about cookies....


So, we have electricity in our neighborhood. I knew that several other neighborhoods still don't have power because our Bishop & his counselors don't have power and one lady I visit teach is still without power and the church is without power. Still there is this image that because you have power, that everything else must be up and working. Well, after a hurricane that's not the case.


Only 2 of the lights on the way to the grocery store were working. It is unnerving to drive across busy streets without lights. A lot of businesses are still closed because they have no power. I saw a Walgreen's without power but it was open for cash sales only. The grocery store was a madhouse. They are still selling ice for those who need it. There was no milk, butter, bread, or eggs. While I was there they got one pallet of some eggs and milk. Everyone else was waiting for those items too. They had to rope it off so they could stock it. I was even more thankful that for the most part I still have a lot of food at home. I just wanted some soft stick butter, but can do without it I did grab a few other items, but felt guilty that what I wanted I really didn't need.

The kids and I went out for a bike ride this morning and saw a house where 90% of the shingles were torn off. No shingles means no way to keep water out. Their house looked completely ruined, the dry wall had fallen down, carpet soaked, items ruined,house destroyed. I wanted to cry for them, and felt so guilty for not having had to endure such trial and thankful at the same time. We'll keep them in our prayers.

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

Karie, I'm so glad you guys are safe and sound. Does my heart good to know you are okay. And I am extremely grateful you are doing well!