Friday, January 25, 2008

Recital

It's been over a month and I just now took the time to sit down and upload the video from our recital back in December.

Daria and I began taking piano lessons together two or two and half years ago (not counting the summertime as we don't take lessons then). I wish I had this much dedication and motivation as a young girl. I think we've both really enjoyed taking lessons, although I could really do without the whole recital requirement.


Daria and I are required to play two pieces each, but I chose my favorites to post. Amazingly enough I'm posting one of mine, which I've never done before. Why you ask? For the main reason that recitals and I do not mix well and quite frankly seem to put me into some state of pre traumatic stress. One would think being an adult I would be past all those "what if I make a mistake fears." So instead of looking like a blubbering fool on the world wide web I opted not to publish my previous recitals. I can still hear my friend's husband say "I thought you told me she could play?" he was somewhat joking but to be honest I thought the same thing about myself in that moment since I had played both pieces perfectly before I left the house, right before I entered the twilight zone that is. When I sat down I seriously forgot the piece and it seemed as though I had never seen nor played it before in my life. Horrifying I know. I almost quit piano because I was so horrified at how scared I get to perform. But I finally determined that I wanted to continue taking lessons and beat my fear or not, but not to let it stop me. This time Janalen had me go first and she didn't require me to memorize my pieces. This seemed to do the trick and amazingly I was able to push through both pieces! A personal victory. Although I must say it still makes me literally sick to my stomach to think of playing in front of anyone.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You both did wonderfully :) Great job!! Karie I thought you were awesome, you had nothing to worry about.

SouthernPeach said...

Kudos!
I am so amazed at the beauty that you played...You are a credit to Mothers who don't quit when the going gets tough...

I closed my eyes and soaked it in, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now!

Thank You

XOXOXO

Jillynne said...

Karie, you were wonderful! I've never seen you play a recital piece, and I thought you did wonderfully! Like you, when it comes to piano, I get pretty nervous playing in front of an audience--especially since I'm way out of practice. I found that I play much better when people aren't assembled just to hear me play. If they're milling about, and talking among themselves, and not really paying attention, I play like I'm all by myself. LOL Or if I'm behind a curtain where no one can see me. Sounds silly, but true. :o)
Good job, both of you! Can't wait to see you!
Love,
Jillynne

Becky said...

Karie,

I am so impressed with you and Daria. I hope to take lessons someday. It seems like you are totally comfortable in front of people...I don't know what you are talking about!

Karie said...

You all are so kind! Remember I only posted this one because it actually turned out, I've got about 8 others where it wasn't so nice! But still I'm very pleased!

Monica said...

Great job to both of you!! I am so impressed! I tried to take piano in my adult years a few years ago and I loved it, but couldn't keep up with it when I started having little kids in the picture. What an excuse! You are an inspiration to me! I will take it up again in a few years when my kids are a little bigger - maybe I'll take with Madison, like you and Daria!

Heather said...

I can't believe you have only been playing for 2 years! You play great. I always hated recitals too.

amylynne said...

Hey there! I'm not sure when or where we're moving, but he has gotten in to one school so far, so it will be somewhere for sure, so that's a relief. And tell Ken, in regards to his comment, that the missing scale number was most definitely intentional! :)