Wednesday, September 26, 2007

One of those days



Do you ever have one of those days which is a lot like living the movie "Tale of Unfortunate Events?" I'm sure all of you have, and true to the pattern of life we all must experience the unfortunate events.

The only problem is sometimes those events are just so lame that we are left wondering and wishing we could just turn back time... just a little, like say 24 hours!

It started yesterday when I set out to cut out material. Ken's lap top was sitting on the floor near his chair where it always sits. Not wanting to step on it I moved it. Looking around for the most logical place to set it I choose the sub woofer that sits behind the chair. To me it's just another piece of furniture. Note to self: NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER place a laptop on a sub woofer or speaker. Why??? Well, if you are a woman, most likely you would not know why. If you are a man you will, because most men come into this world somehow already knowing about things such as engines, electricity, and speakers. There is this phenomenon about placing a laptop on a speaker. Underneath all that pretty fake wood over the speaker lurks a magnet the size of your dinner plate. Magnets and laptops do not mix. In fact magnets like to mix up a laptop. After sitting on a speaker for about 8 hours, Ken's laptop entered the realm of laptop heaven, gone, zippo, dead, unusable, has ta la vista baby. In layman's terms: magnets will erase anything and everything usable on a laptop, the memory, motherboard, operating system, the whole shebang. It will not even turn on.

I felt sick to my stomach when I realized what happened. The only redeeming thing of this whole story is how Ken handled it. VERY VERY patiently, lovingly and with forgiveness. I know the horrors of loosing data. The only thing Ken said calmly and quietly was "haven't you ever taken a part a speaker?" Uh, no I thought, I don't think that was offered in Home Ec. class (Of course NOW I want to take our speaker apart just to see the evil magnet). The picture above is of a sub woofer that is see through, OURS is not see through. Ours looks like a box of nice wood. Maybe if I could see in the speaker I would have noticed the huge magnet. Seriously though, Ken was so kind about it even though I knew he must have been wanting to pull out whatever is left of his hair.

It gets worse. I think we were both more worried about what was lost from the laptop, that we didn't even think about the fact that Ken is on call this week. We were reminded of this at 1am in the morning when he got a call from work. Normally this would require dialing in on the special software on the laptop to fix the problem. UNFORTUNATELY this time, with Mr. Dead laptop, Ken had to drive in to work a nice 26 miles one way in the middle of the morning, just to find out it wasn't his problem but another groups problem. I was already feeling small, real real small. By morning I was feeling almost invisible. It was like that airplane commerical "wanna get away?" Ken did not complain. He is amazing.

So this morning my visiting teaching companion and I headed out first thing to help a lady we teach pack up her belongings. The unfortunate events continued on. We never did get to help her pack because somewhere between here and there I got in a auto accident with none other than Ken's truck. FORTUNATELY no one was hurt. The other driver was able to drive away. Ken's truck was not able to drive away. FORTUNATELY we were near Ken's work. UNFORTUNATE that I was already feeling lousy about destroying his laptop, now I had to call him and tell him I crunched his truck. Because he takes the bus to work he had no vehicle so borrowed a co-workers and came to our location. UNFORTUNATELY we had a officer in training, so 2 1/2 hours later we finally got to leave. FORTUNATELY a friend drove 26 miles to come pick us up, Ken included, as he now had to take the rest of the day off to get a rental car and deal with the details. The truck was towed to a repair shop. If we are fortunate it will be repairable. If not, well, I am always telling the kids to not worry about the "what ifs" so I'm going to try and "not worry". We are fortunate to have insurance and I am now unfortunate to not have a clean driving record.

So to say the least, my day was less than desirable, although I continue to remind myself of the blessings, like no one was hurt, it was near Ken's work, he was able to help, our friend was able to pick us up, we were able to get a rental car, the tow truck guy was very nice and gave us some helpful tips. By the time I got home I felt like crawling under a rock. Again, amazingly Ken was very calm, loving and helpful. I don't know how he does it, I'm sure I would be on the war path if the shoe was on the other foot. I'm so glad he balances things out and is willing to "forgive".

I can't wait for tomorrow....another day...I hope it's better. :o)

13 comments:

Becky said...

Oh boy, Karie. That was painful to read. Sorry about that and "GOOD JOB, KEN" for being patient. Glad you are OK. That is too weird- I can only hope that Eric would have been as patient.

Celeste said...

WOW!! What do you say to that other than...how UNFORTUNITE!! :) Maybe you should just relax today and take it easy. If you had another day like that it might push you over the edge!! Take time out for you :)

BROKEN said...

I STILL LOVE YOU......all those things are just material and have no value in the next life. You are a treasure that I will always have with me.

SouthernPeach said...

I love you "broKEN!" You can be my biglove anytime...

I can relate so much to your one day of "trials". I hope that your week improves.

We are getting all sorts of "suprises..." as we arrived yesterday to ummm not happiness!

Just think Ken could possibly get the Aggie truck painted the appropriate color now... ooops I mean Cherry Apple Truck! ;)

Monica said...

Oh Karie - OUCH! I totally was feeling for you as I read this! But I am glad Ken was so understanding. Plus, he is so right! THINGS can be replaced, but relationships are where it's at! I bet you've used up all your bad luck for the rest of the year, so only good stuff will come your way for the next couple months!

Jonah said...

I don't even know what to say...already knew you had a sweet husband. And, he'd need tweezers to pull any hair out!!

Love ya broKen!

Karie said...

You all are such good friends/family. Ahh, it's all good isn't it. I'm glad I can comizerate (I have no idea how to spell that and I'm to lazy to open the dictionary) with all of you! Thanks for your comments. What would we do without our blogs!!!

Jillynne said...

Oh Karie -- you poor dear. I think you're quote of "wanna' get away?" is probably the best way to describe that feeling of utter helplessness in the face of something you did, unknowingly, that turned out to be a huge "uh oh!" But it sounds like you and Ken survived these set backs with decorum and honorable and patient behavior. I'm glad that only "things" were hurt in all of this -- and not the precious gifts that you all are to us. I'm sorry about Ken's poor truck -- but I would be a whole sight sorrier if it were you, Ken, or the kids instead. Praise the Lord for giving us obstacles to overcome, by which we do not allow ourselves to be defeated. ;o)

Chin up, my dear(s)! Kudos to Ken for his calm reactions. And don't forget that accidents are highly forgiveable, while intentional actions are a lot harder to forgive. You fit in the former category, as there is not an unkind bone in your body. :o)
Love you, sis!
Jillynne

Jillynne said...

P.S. I just read all of the other comments -- when I read Ken's....sheesh -- you never warned me that I would have to bring tissues to your blog, Karie!! ;o)

BTW -- from your loving sister: "commiserate". (Think of the word miserable and that others are sharing that misery.)

All my Love and commiseration ;o)
Jillynne

Jillynne said...

P.P.S.
FYI:
Word of warning to all of the girls: be very careful about stacking magnetic objects and other electronic devices on things such as DVD players, speakers, stereo systems, etc...again there can be severe consequences -- look it up on the net if you're not sure what's acceptable to stack, and what's not. Also -- be careful not to store VHS tapes (as if anyone uses those anymore - LOL) on top of the player -- it demagnetizes them. :o) Just a couple of helpful hints. (And don't set your new car battery on the concrete -- after a day or two you might not have any charge left!) ;o)
L
J

Unknown said...

It's like you had a day out of my life...just kidding, but really...you know I've had some "hard luck" times/days! Hugs, Michele

Shauna said...

Karie
Thank heavens that day is behind you! Maybe now you have an all clear and get on with things again!

Remember, it is pressure that makes diamonds. But, don't push too far or you could obliterate the rock!

SouthernPeach said...

UPDATE WITHDRAWL!

Although this is a really long, and interesting comments section that keeps going... I want to read ABOUT YOU! You must have something new to ramble about. I deem it!