Friday, November 2, 2012

Fabulous 40's

This is probably the most inexpensive Halloween I've ever had as a parent. Most years I spend sewing and gathering items to authenticate whatever costume I'm working on and probably spend more than the average person would on a store bought costume. Maybe it's because the kids are growing or I've been super busy but I just couldn't make myself create any costumes this year (and the kids couldn't decide what they wanted to be). Either way it's ok. We had fun putting together what we had. The theme this year seemed to be "The Fabulous 40's." I didn't have to look far for my costume .. .just a few steps to my closet for my 1940's WAC (Women's Army Corp) uniform. Daria initially wanted to dress as Rosie the Riveter. Finding a blue work shirt her size at any secondhand shops was impossible. She opted for my authentic 1940's dress. Wait, does anyone see a problem here? I fit in that dress (albeit very differently than Daria does.) How can Daria fit in it too? Dustin wanted to be an old man complete with a walker. However as he later decided he wanted to be an old WWII veteran and begged to wear Grandpa Bell's WWII ball cap. Once he put it on we all laughed. Dustin sure makes a good old man!! The first set of photos are from our church trunk-or-treat, which was on Friday. On Halloween, Dustin chose to go as a secret agent  with his friend Caden (black suit, sun glasses) but most people thought they were the Blues Brothers. Ken ended up dressing as himself this year. He wanted to go as Col. Klink from Hogan's Heroes but finding a monocle and German commandant uniform was a bit hard. Maybe next year after I find a monocle for him to wear!
 
 
 
 
Since Daria is getting older she spent most of the time passing out candy at the trunk-or-treat, but did make a few laps in our neighborhood with a few of her friends.
 
Here is a photo of the damage ..... way too much candy. I am not concerned though as the Switch Witch usually visits our house each year. If you are not aware of the Switch Witch, I will tell you that she is in direct competition with the Tooth Fairy. While the Tooth Fairy's goal is to keep your teeth healthy and strong, the Switch Witch's goal is to rot your teeth. Each year she randomly chooses houses to visit, leaves a note reading something like "I'll switch you for this you switch me for that..." After sorting through their candy, the kids will keep only a small amount of their favorites and will leave the rest outside their bedroom door. In the morning the candy is gone and the Switch Witch usually leaves a tiny gift, like a book, or small game, etc (keep in mind this is not Christmas). She has not visited our home yet, so we will see. (I'm sure the kids know who the Switch Witch is, but it's a fun tradition for us and gets rid of all that candy that can't possibly be good for their bodies! and I like that they would rather have something small than a bowl of candy that could feed 80 people!)

 

No comments: