Friday, January 20, 2012

Back to Gilwell ...... part 1


Just for the record ... I love Scouting! I've secretly loved it before I even had a Cub Scout aged boy. For years I've admired the program from a distance, watching and attending Eagle Court of Honors at church. Maybe it's because it reminds me of all the outdoor things I did as a child, maybe it's because it provides so many opportunities to learn and grow. Most likely it is because of the well rounded amazing leaders and men these boys become because of it. It is with no surprise that when I had a boy the thought crossed my mind that I might get to serve in Cub Scouts. When I was called in 2009 to serve as a Den Leader for the Wolves and Bears I was excited, regardless of the fact that I had no clue what I was doing. Still, I was excited. I've learned a lot in Cubs, but there are two things that stand out in my mind. First, when you have a loud, curious, silly, 8 or 9 year old boy with more energy than should be allowed for one human being, and can't sit still for 8 seconds, you may think something is wrong with them, unless of course they join Cub Scouts. Then you realize they are all loud, curious, silly, and can't sit still. Quite normal for that age. Second, I love how stinkin' fun it is.

I PROMISE TO DO MY BEST

I'm still serving in Cub Scouts, now as a Webelos Den Leader Assistant. I was worried that they would release me when the Bishop called me to another calling. I was sad to think I was done with Cubs. Fortunately the Bishop gave me the option of staying in Cubs along with the RS calling. Thankfully they don't conflict. I could go on and on about what a blast the past almost 3 years have been ...                                                                      
TO DO MY DUTY TO GOD

We've held pinewood derbies, space derbies, rain gutter regatta's, and pushmobil races. We've built things, grown plants, and planted trees. We've picked up trash, lifted fingerprints and made caster footprints. We've done genealogy, provided service, learned math, science, and letter writing, and cleaned up land. We've spent fun filled days at Scout Fair, attended Arrow of Light Ceremonies, Cub Camps, and celebrated the 100th Anniversary of Scouting with 25,000 other Scouters at SHACjam. We've laid wreaths on veterans graves, talked to Gold Star parents whose children were killed in action, presented plays at nursing homes, played wheelchair basketball, shot marshmallow shooters & slingshots, learned about geology, geography, maps, compasses, astronomy, nutrition and even disability awareness. The boys have done presentations, learned to lead their den, learned the history of the American flag, how to fold it, post it and retire it. They've earned their citizenship badges and music and art belt loops. They've built book ends, tool boxes, chalk boards, a box, and stools with coping saws. They've tied knots, played sports, cooked food, made snacks, made menus and even cooked for their family for a week. We've shot arrows and bb guns, stood with over 100 other Cub Scouts as they blow air into their plastic lunch bag and pop them all at once, we've listened to farts, burps, and giggles. We've earned our whittling chip, 100th Anniversary Patch, Leave No Trace and World Conservation awards. We've had relays, exercises, learned about safe swimming , bicycle safety and bike repairs, We've played chess, marbles and handfuls of silly games, and underwent a transformation with uniform inspections. We've handed out beads and more beads for our Den doodles, stamped leather, and even painted glass ornaments. We've sang songs, and presented silly skits and crazy den yells. We've learned to save, budget and spend money, protect wildlife, safety, CPR, first aid, and saying "NO" to drugs,  tall tales and good manners (this one hasn't sunk in yet). Through it all we've learned about and practiced faith and an understanding of our duty to God and our Country and our families.

AND MY COUNTRY

Needless to say it's been a lot of fun. While it can be exhausting at times, Melanie (the other den leader and friend of mine) and I have had a blast. It seems that once you serve in Cub Scouting you start seeing everything in a Cub Scout kind of way. Maybe it's a lesson, story, craft, activity, item in the sports or grocery store or even something at school that triggers the "Hey! we should use that for Cub Scouts." The ideas are endless.
                                                     TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE

Most of all, I am thankful my son has had the opportunity to learn so many things that sitting at a desk, on a computer or playing a video game just can't provide to the same extent, and I'm thankful I've had the opportunity to do it alongside him.


Ultimately Scouting is about "Life Long Learning."  My list of activities the boys accomplished above is not really about the badges, belt loops and pins, but providing opportunities for boys to learn and grow for the rest o their lives. Melanie and I tried to lead by example and felt that we could work alongside the boys to make goals, obtain them and earn awards too.  Over the past few years we've both earned ribbons on our 100th Anniversary patches, our Den Leader Award, Adult Religious Knot and the On My Honor Award. We've attended training's, Roundtables, University of Scouting, and Little Philmont's.  Our family also participated in the Cub Scout Family program earning two patches. The key to success in Scouting is really a trained leader.  I'm not saying these things to "toot our own horn," but only to express that it was a lot easier to be a den leader and a lot more fun to earn things with the boys.


So this leads me to the main reason I'm writing this. For the sake of not sounding like a "Lifer" (you know, one of those Scout leaders who stays in Scouting until they are old and grey) I'll cut right to the subject of my post, which is that in 2011 I finally completed and earned my Woodbadge award. What is Gilwell? and What is Woodbadge?  well I will explain it ........ in my next post titled "Back to Gilwell part 2."

No comments: