Friday, January 29, 2010

Dustin finally has the courage to take his hands away from his eyes.

Is it really possible that I, who is never at a loss for words.... could have neglected my blog for so long? What is the world coming to? Kudos to my friend's who have somehow managed to keep their blogs up to date amid the hustle and bustle of life.....

I ran across these photos of Dustin today and couldn't help blogging about them. For those who know Dustin you know that he is always moving, always talking, always on the go. You've laughed at me when I've said that he is my "introvert/extrovert" child. No one can imagine the happy go lucky bouncing off the walls non stop Dustin is actually a very shy introverted person. So here is the breakdown. When Dustin is in a situation with people he knows, and knows very well like friends. He's a firecracker. Put him in a situation like school or in front of a crowd and Dustin wants to disappear. Every parent teacher conferences I hear the same thing, "Dustin is so well behaved..Dustin sits quietly all day, he never talks out of turn.." I usually sit there and think to myself "Are we talking about the same kid?"

It brings me back to his early days when he was in nursery at church. Terry S. came by the house for something and when I opened the door Dustin was his usual energetic bouncy self. Terry, who happened to be the nursery leader looked at me and said "Uh.... we've never seen that in nursery. Dustin comes in, grabs a toy, and quietly plays by himself and doesn't say a word."

Seriously, true story. Anyway, back to my pictures. Dustin, who has dreamed of being a Cub Scout since he was 4 is finally a Wolf Cub. He busily began working on his Achievements and attended his first Pack Meeting earning his Bobcat patch. This means he is called up to the front to receive the patch. I don't think he was even about to do that. After some coaxing from me and AnnaLisa, Dustin barely made it to the front with his hands over his eyes in the "if I can't see you then you must not be able to see me" response. He was so completely embarrassed that he forgot that he was to escort me so he could pin the mother's wolf pin on. Somehow he made it back to my chair (eyes still covered) and we walked up together minus his arm holding mine because that would mean he would have to take his hands down from his face. The fun part about going up to get your awards is the opportunity to choose a super silly boyish Cheer for the rest of the Pack to perform. Dustin, who was horrified to be up there skipped that part and rushed back to his seat. A priceless moment.


p.s. Thanks Ken for taking the pictures, you are getting better at using my camera!!

2 comments:

Marka said...

Great photos! Yay for Scouting!! Has he decided to follow the Path to Eagle? or is that not on his radar yet?

Karie said...

Hello fellow photographer... I'm assuming you found mypage through One Foote Closer.

Yes, Eagle is on the radar already do to the fact that he found out that if you are a Eagle you are already up a rank when you join the military. Go figure!