Thursday, September 3, 2009


Conversation today....

Dustin "mom! can I buy my lunch at school tomorrow? 'cause I never get too.."

Daria "Dustin, there aren't a lot of healthy choices on the menu"

Dustin "YES! there's a salad!"

Mom "Oh, so you're going to buy a salad for lunch?"

Dustin "no, I want the burger"

Ok, it's not that I have anything against school lunches. I mean they do offer square meals.. (if you call white Wonder bread a grain and fried sweet potato fries a vegetable...) with a lot of extra choices (like Oreo's, chips, pizza, etc). Seriously, though, it's no big deal, it's just worked better for me to make what I consider a more delicious meal with quality ingredients for a lot cheaper, so that's what I've done. It has also taught my kids responsibility as for the most part, since Kindergarten, they've had to make their own lunch. However, Dustin will get to buy his lunch tomorrow. In our home it's sort of a "special treat" to buy your lunch at school, and yes, he's buying the all nutritious burger with fries... oh and a salad if they have one (he said).

6 comments:

Celeste said...

Hannah hasn't yet asked to eat school lunch, but it's only been a couple of weeks. I'm sure it's coming soon...bring on the breaded, deep fried mozzarella cheese sticks with a HUGE cinnamon roll on the side!!

travelingtxmom said...

That conversation had me laughing out loud, way to be thinking on your toes Dustin! I'm glad you're treating him to that "nutritious" burger and maybe a salad.

Jenn said...

"eno evah yeht fi dalas a dnA :dessentiW

Cheri C. said...

I LOVE how Dustin and Daria are so different. The thing I love the most that you have taught them is HONESTY... it's gotta make you laugh. At least he is honest about wanting the burger instead... you may have had to pull that out of him with one more question but it WAS honest. Love it!

Becky said...

But when it's a "buying day", oh how easy my morning goes!

Niki Carter said...

That's funny. I went to have lunch with Rachel and she had Spaghetti noodles (no sauce) mashed potatoes with cheese on it, a piece of french bread slathered in butter, and a cup of chocolate pudding with whip cream on top! That was the end of school lunch options for her:) We now pack lunches every day!!