Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cooking negative 101


I've been pretty lucky. Ever since day one, both of my kids have been good eaters. I was one of those extreme moms who made all of my own baby food. Looking back on it I can't believe I actually accomplished that. A woman will do anything to justify quitting her job to stay home with her new baby. My logic was "think how much money I'll save by making my own baby food." I laugh about it now, but it really was one of the ways I cut costs in order to stay home.
I never went through the "I'm not hungry stage". You know the one, your 18 month old all of the sudden decides that they are no longer hungry and somehow miraculously survives on one bowl of cheerios per day, nothing else, and yet they still have an enormous amount of energy and their body still grows. I was not fortunate enough to experience that. In fact my kids always seemed to be hungry, and I took comfort in that fact that they would eat everything I presented them. Both of my kids loved eating cherry tomatoes as a snack at school and actually even like brussel sprouts.
Unfortunately those glory days are over. Not the eating part. Daria and Dustin still have a healthy appetite. The unfortunate part is that all of the sudden almost every meal in my tiny bag of recipes, disgusts them. Yep, I've entered the "I can't' stand that stage". Now this might not be a problem for the average Super Mom, but it's a problem for me. Why? Well, because I truly lack in the "cooking" arena. It's taken me 17 years to really become a good cook, and "good" has a lot of imagination in it. Cooking is not my favorite thing to do. Some of my friends love to cook, love to bake. I'd rather have some sort of set up like the Jetson's did, where you push a button and some homemade gourmet meal pops out of the wall. Since that's not an option, I find myself constantly struggling to find healthy, cost efficient recipes, and NOW, recipes that most the family likes. Meals that Daria LOVED she all of the sudden can't stand. The same goes for Dustin. Or better yet, Daria might like a certain meal but no one else, or Dustin likes what Daria doesn't. One thing I just can't succumb to doing is making a variety of options for one meal. I cook it, you eat it (sounds a little strict but seriously people, what do you do?). For the most part I try to cook what Ken likes. He's the one who works hard every day so we can even afford food, so I figure he should get first shot at the menu, and he never complains.
So the conversation usually goes like this. "Mom, what's for dinner tonight?" (I fantasize responding by saying "a knuckle sandwich" but due to better judgment withhold that comment). I then list off what I will be cooking. "Do we like that?" "Have we had that before?" or the most dreaded "Ohhh, I hate that " "But you used to love that" "well I don't like it anymore." Then, being the mom, I get the fun opportunity to be the "mean mom" and give the age old lecture of "when you are 18 you can cook what you want" or "people all over the world only get a bowl of rice every day, you should be thankful you have this dinner" Ok, actually I've not used those replies. I'd love to but haven't. I have however used the "when you start complaining about choices there's a big problem" (this is usually my response when Dustin looks in the pantry and complains that there isn't anything to eat for breakfast. There are always things to eat for breakfast, just not what he wants. Or he will say he's tired of the same old thing. I then find myself fantasizing again imagining myself feeding my kids oatmeal for a month straight so they can actually then appreciate the meals we do get to eat.......) I suppose I will just have to take a big deep breath and remind myself "that this too shall pass"....

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Lol, maybe a month on oatmeal WOULD do 'em good!!

BTW--most of my family's favorite recipes come from your home.

Cheri C. said...

Okay... So, I did the google reader thing and then I went to check it out today... ALAS, I thought I had messed up when it showed a "1" under your blog. BUT, NO... you really did update your post -- yeah!!!

Okay... here is a website for your cooking. I thought of you when I saw it BUT I don't know that it's that healthy... I saw it off someone who mentioned the mac & cheese... yummm!

Oh, and go ahead and tell them about the starving kids... it will give them something to remember when they get to be our age... "remember when I had to finish my plate because my mom told me about all those kids that were starving"... :)

Cheri C. said...

Oh... you can't read my mind?? Stupid me... here's the site: http://thepioneerwoman.com/

Karie said...

You guys are great! Cheri, you are actually the second person who mentioned that pioneer woman site. Now it looks like I'll have to try it out. When you visit, I'll be sure to make something you like, we can then listen to the kids complain together (just kidding).

Hey Jenn, since your kids like my meals and my kids like your meals, maybe we should cook for each other! LOL! just kidding.

Becky said...

It's back to telling you about my strategy. Here it is: I don't cook very often, mostly because I go through phases where cooking is just the most awful thing in the world. The 3-6 pm time of day is terrible for so many reasons. I manage to get soup warmed up, or ...mac n cheese on the table (just barely), ....THEN, a couple times a week, I cook and EVERYONE is so thankful and tells me that I am the best mom in the world. Eric is even so happy and grateful. See? It works on house cleaning, and laundry too. :) I think you might just be outdoing yourself, and everyone is getting used to it!

Celeste said...

I think you're an awesome cook!! Of course, I was raised on Hamb. Helper and fast food!! jk!

Really, I always like what you cook, I think kids are just picky. Hello!!!! I can't get Gabe to eat more than waffles, go-gurts, and cheese, for heaven's sake! :)

travelingtxmom said...

Too bad that stage has to come along isn't it? Good for you for not folding to accommodate everyone's tastes, I always felt that if what I prepared wasn't to their liking then they would just have to have some of it anyway, or go hungry, or there was always P & J. One thing I did try at one point was to have them each pick a night (this was when we were only down to two or three) when they could choose the menu and help cook. That phase didn't last for long and seems like there wasn't as much complaining afterward either once they realized how much work went in to the meal itself.

makana said...

Well I feel bad. I am 27 and STILL open my full y stocked fridge or pantry and say.. "There is nothing to eat here!" I like that line about complaining. I am witting it down and putting it on my fridge

Jillynne said...

LOL -- well -- my favorite line to Damion was: "Well...I'm sorry if my choice of food doesn't sound good. You've got a few choices: If you're hungry you can eat what's here. If you're not hungry you can skip dinner. If you're having a problem with the menu you can choose, and plan, a healthy meal, have me approve it, and make it yourself." I thought that was a pretty fair deal -- and it usually worked. :-)

I hope it's getting better. ;-) hang in there "Ma."