(note: to all my friends and family who read my blog. I will soon be changing it to a private blog and will send you an invite through blogger when I do so)
Believe it or not I’m back. We actually returned last week from an amazing, fun, totally awesome 18 day trip. I’ve not blogged yet because I have so much to blog about that it might turn into a thousand page book (18 days of vacation is a lot to blog about). But I really don’t want to write a thousand page book, so the result was no blog post.
To long blog or short blog is the question. LOL. I will try to keep it short.
In fact tonight I really just need to vent and who better to vent to than my friends.
Be warned, if you don’t like reading extremely opinionated on the soap box comments about movies, you may want to skip this paragraph.
I continue… Ken and I with another couple went on a date to see Batman. I am not a Batman type movie girl in the first place. I went because so many people said it was awesome, regardless of my inner logic telling me that any movie like this is always full of violence and the fact that Heath Ledger himself was disturbed by the character he played. Like I said I went. I’m angry that I did. I’m angry that by the time the movie started rolling I was feeling too nauseous to get up and leave (I have no idea why I got sick but I felt pretty miserable). I should have left. Seriously people, this was an extremely dark, violent film. I’m still trying to figure out what was awesome about it? The filming was awesome; the characters played their parts well, but is that really worth watching inhumane dark, abhorrent violence? I spent pretty much the majority of the film with my eyes closed or ears plugged. I do not want images like that in my head EVER. I was so saddened at how many young kids that were there with their parents. I mean young! Maybe between the ages of 5 to 8?. I wanted to scoop them up and take them out so they wouldn’t have to see those horrid images. What in the world would make anyone think that those images were appropriate for young minds, or even adult minds? It might have well been rated R. Of course if you rate it R then fewer people can pay to see it, PG-13 increases the profit margin. I thought maybe I’m protective because my children are still young, but the couple we were with have teenagers and felt that it wasn’t even appropriate for their kids. I have always wondered why for centuries crowds of people would attend hangings or beheadings. Here we are a supposedly more civilized and advanced people yet we PAY to see wicked violence and we bring our kids to watch it too!!! Think about it, countless soldiers have returned from war torn battlefields and have consequently had to take medicine and go through therapy to deal with the horrid images they saw. Yet we purposefully watch those things as entertainment?? Thoughts of the Strength of Youth pamphlet filled my head. President Hinckley’s words from the “6 B’s” filled my mind “We live in a world that is filled with filth and sleaze, a world that reeks of evil. It is all around us. It is on the television screen. It is at the movies. It is in the popular literature. It is on the Internet. You can’t afford to watch it, my dear friends. You cannot afford to let that filthy poison touch you. Stay away from it. Avoid it. You can’t rent videos and watch them as they portray degrading things. You young men who hold the priesthood of God cannot mix this filth with the holy priesthood. Remembrances of the YW presidency in 2002 reminding the youth to not watch movies that were inappropriate regardless of the rating. So there you have it, I don’t care if people call me lame, pin headed, judgmental or extreme. I will not fill my mind nor my kid’s minds with trash. I would rather pay $10.00 for a movie that I can walk away from feeling like I spent 2 hours of my life in a positive way, not walking away feeling like I’ve got putrid slime in my thoughts. I am mostly angry because I didn’t leave and because it’s marketed towards children and young people. It’s on the cereal boxes it’s on the pizza boxes, it’s in the kids meals at some fast food places. As an adult I can ignore that pressure but kids are lured into it. I also recognize that this movie was probably pretty mild compared to most out there. Finally, I recognize how hard it will be to teach my children to make smart choices about what they put into their brains…. And will pray until I’m blue in the face while they exercise their right to choose.
Thank you for letting me vent….
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Very well said. Haven't seen it, but surely won't now. Glad to have an ally in these things.
So, you know me Karie, and you and I think very much alike. I loved Heath Ledger! I enjoyed watching him perform! He was seriously one of my favorite actors. Now that being said, I never saw his "gay cowboy" movie and I haven't even been tempted to see this Batman movie. I, too, feel we need to take a stand and try to force the issue for change in the media. If we, who proclaim to be striving to live the gospel & to follow the prophet, would do just that we may be able to change things in our nation. But too many just go and partake and then justify!! I'm sorry that you had to deal with that and I feel for those kids who had to sit through that movie! And parents wonder why they have such a hard time with their kids....go figure!!
On fast sunday I teach in Relief Society. I have been contemplating what subject to teach on. As the Relief Society President, it is my responsibility to teach the sisters the truth BUT if I were to pick a subject, such as shielding ourselves from society (refer to my blog) we would have too many justified comments, it would be unreal!! BUT I am still tempted to. That vacation taught me a lot. Mainly that society truly doesn't matter, it's the simple things that matter and that we as mother's and wife's should be taking a stand. We should be standing a little taller :)
This comment should have been an email to you....it's a little long...sorry!! :)
I have not been following much when it comes to current movies, when Brad and Angie's babies were actually born or that Heath was a part of this movie? I’m sure I heard about it after he took his life, just didn’t put the two together till a couple days ago. I've known a few people who took their lives and often think "the devil made them do it". Where have I been...o=yeah, having a baby. Anyway, so my friend Beth (married to Pete Gonzales) wouldn't go see this movie because she knew it was a "dark" movie. WOW, to say the least I would say it's dark. No, I won't go see it and this just confirms that. Jamie's response when I pointed out I keep hearing how "dark" it is was "O - I hear everyone thinks its a great movie!” YES, in deed, the majority of society loves this stuff? Why, what is so appealing about that which is in my book negative? We've talked about this before - how the world is pretty much desensitized because of all the portal of darkness/violence on TV or in Movies are sometimes just in one's own life. I think we should start a group on facebook “People who do not like the Batman movie!”. I wonder if anyone would join?
I like all of your thoughts on the subject. I was pretty frustrated when I posted. I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who is thinking "hey, what's going on here?". I mean it is boggling to know that adults love that kind of stuff but I still can't get over the fact that kids are allowed to watch it. Sometimes I think guys aren't as aware of it, like Jamie's comment. Ken didn't think kids should be watching it and he did think it was dark but he is a guy and didn't seem as offended as I was.
Interesting that all of the new movie previews before the show started were all the same, death, murder, adultry, more death. It's insane how that type of movie is so popular that movie after movie is produced. Celeste you mentioned about justified comments and I was thinking as I was posting about all the times I've had people tell me "well we don't want to shelter ourselves from the world". Oh my you mean we wouldn't acutally want to be different??? or peculiar. I actually looked the definition up and one sure some of the definitions say "strange or different" but one caught my eye "distinctive in nature or character from others" now I liked that. You are right, our recent trip was eye opening and what I would consider life changing for me and my testimony and made me realize that we should be able to enjoy entertainment but it's the "good, better, best" scenerio and that it should benefit us not drag us down. Michele I think you should start the Facebook group, :o)
I suppose ultimately this movie symbolized to me just the whole direction that media is taking, from TV, internet, video games to movies and they are taking our children right along with it.
Amen, sista. Not gonna see it, not gonna let my boys see it. I agree with everything you have said. Wish it were more black and white and not so grey ALL THE TIME where you are asking yourself "is this ok or not". Thanks for standing for the right.
I think you should be able to vent in every newspaper and on every TV program. What you wrote was that important. Couldn't have been better said. Great work KH!
Post a Comment