Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A wonderful Mother's Day

There are those times when you feel celebrated that for mother's comes very seldom and often is manifest within our own hearts when we see our children grow and succeed in life. I am glad we have days to celebrate one another such as Mother's Day. In fact I think birthday's are pretty cool to. I mean, life is hard, why shouldn't we be celebrated for another year of being alive and for being who we are.
I was looking forward to this Mother's Day. Why? because for at least a month and a half Daria and her neighbor friends have been secretly working on some special project for their mother's. I had no clue what it could be but most days after school and homework, the 4 girls would jet back and forth between each other's homes to work on the project. It took up Saturday's and some Saturday nights (mixed with playtime as well). Sometimes they would have things hidden in bags, sometimes they would have one of the dads tote them off to the store to buy more supplies (the girls called them the chauffeurs and financiers). The anticipation was endless.

Since our ward meets at 1pm this year, Ino said he would cook breakfast Sunday morning. I thought this meant that the three families would show up and eat. It turned out very differently. Daria and Dustin were up by 6:45am on Sunday morning and I heard the doors open and close. By 8:30a me, Jenni, and Michelle were summoned to breakfast. What we found was a table set up in Jenni's living room (she had been kicked out earlier in the morning to her parents house, so she wouldn't see the planned festivities), elegantly set with 3 plates, 3 bouquets of roses, and nice mood music in the background. Still in my pajamas I was feeling slightly under dressed. Chance, Logan, and Dustin were in their Sunday suits ready to wait on us, take our orders, and fill our water and orange juice cups. We were fed a delicious fruit plate, and all the pancakes, waffles, sausage, eggs, and bacon we could ask for if we wanted. The kids presented us with a few small gifts and left us there to chat while they ate outside and then cleaned up the kitchen. Wow! it was so amazing! I admit I was feeling pretty guilty and undeserving about enjoying this delicious special Mother's Day meal after throwing an adult tantrum the day before over kids not doing their chores. Ugh!!! whoever said mother's don't' ever loose their cool! Here are some pictures of the day. No there are none of me, I seriously looked like I rolled right out of bed. Only so many people are aloud to see me that way, and the worldwide web does not count. I wish I had a picture of Ken who spent so much time being chef.
The table
The waiters

some of the cooks






After a wonderful time at church, the celebration continued. Ken really went above and beyond the call of duty by preparing a delicious brisket and sausage on the green egg (this is about a 12 hour process), beans in the crock pot, homemade potato salad and homemade rolls. We went over to our neighbors house and enjoyed the company of 5 other families. Then came the moment we mothers had been waiting for. Our big surprise. Each of us were presented with a scrapbook, put together by each girl, comprising each of our families. It was so awesome!! Now I know why Kat spent several weeks taking pictures of every movement we made. It was so sweet and a gift I will treasure forever.

I think that this was by far the best Mother's Day I've ever experienced. It was special to think that I was being thought of all this time while Daria was making the project. Dustin also made some cute gifts and letters which of course I'll keep forever. I think one of the best parts was that the kids and husbands came up with these ideas on their own and worked very hard to make us feel celebrated.

........ I think to myself "how will I top that for Father's day??"

6 comments:

Anna-Lisa said...

Awww, I'm so proud of those kids, but they learned it from their mothers. Congrats on a great day!

Celeste said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Not just because the whole "perfect gift for Mother's Day" thing but the fact that I'm not there to join in on the festivities. I sure miss you guys!!

Shauna said...

What a fun day! Seriously, what are you going to do about Father's day? I think you should come to Colorado . . I'm just saying.

Becky said...

VERY special! That is really amazing that they took the time to do all that, I mean, seriously. It's so neat that you have such good friends there.

Jillynne said...

Well -- I was about to bring out the Kleenex as I read through your fabulous day! Daria and Dustin came up with such a wonderful set of events to celebrate you -- I'm so proud of them! This Mother's Day will be one for your Family History Book!! ;o)

Love you guys.
Love, Jillynne

Jillynne said...

Oh -- and nice job Ken, too!
L
J