Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Odds, and ends.....

This will probably be a lame post but I had a moment to spare and figured I would post. I was stalking all of your blogs (yes, all of you, my super great friends) and either it's late and I'm tired and everything seems funny or I'm just strange. Ultimately these are random thoughts that pop in my head and I think "hhmmm I should blog that"

1. I can often be found logging on to a few of your blogs while I'm on the computer just to listen to your music play lists. Silly I know, but I love some of the songs you've picked out. One day I was working out to a DVD on my computer and I must have had Ashley's (Shugee's) blog up on another tab. The workout DVD started and then all of the sudden one of my favorite songs by Rihanna started playing and I was thinking "Cool!!!! they've got some new music on this workout" Duh!!!

2. I had to run to the mall today for one item. I'm really not a huge shopper, I like to go, get what I came for and leave. Today as I passed by one store I noticed a really cool shirt in the window. For kicks I went in to get a closer look. I HATE it when the clothes on the manicans look great but when you look closer it's because they've got the darn thing pinned in the back. So obviously you think "hey! that would look great on me!" until you get it home and realize that it fits completely different than it did on the manican. False advertisement?? ha, ha

3. Speaking of malls. I particularly think it's like running the gauntlet trying to get past all of the mini kiosks without getting stopped by some sales person trying to get you to do your nails, buy soap, cell phones, or fake hair pieces. It's almost like live telemarketers only you can't hang up on them. I have to plan my route carefully and the biggest key to making it through without stopping is "DO NOT LOOK THEM IN THE EYES". I laugh because it reminds me of the movie Nanny McPhee when the oldest brother told the other kids not to look in her eyes because she must have some hypnotic powers. Too funny!!

4. A few weeks ago I finally purchased my re-usable shopping bags from my favorite grocery store. They were only .99 cents. Can't go wrong there. I was so pleased, they fit way more than a plastic or paper bag does. I keep them in my van by my center console so I won't forget to bring them in when I grocery shop. So a few days later I had to run into a totally different store. After parking I looked down at my bags and thought "Is it totally wrong to use a re-usable shopping bag with another stores name on it at a different store?" are there any etiquette rules to this whole "living green" thing? Oh well I thought, I am tired of plastic bags over running my house and the dump, so I slung that pretty puppy over my shoulders and proudly walked into the store. The funniest part was when I was checking out and I set the bag down on the bag holder. The cashier looked at it and me as if she had no clue what to do. I chuckled and told her that she could put EVERYTHING right in the green bag.

5. End of school fever. I think that I have it just as bad as my kids. It seems like the next few weeks will NEVER end. I am looking forward to summer break. I love having my kids home with our own schedule. Daria said the best part of summer break is that you get to sleep in. Now this is absolutely the funniest thing I've ever heard from a girl who probably has never slept in past 7am even on weekends. I can relate. I've never been able to sleep in. I've tried, it doesn't work. But there is something different about having to wake up early and waking up early without having a reason to. Go figure.

6. It's that time of year again. Daria and I will have another recital the first week in June. So far I'm not too stressed out about it. I suppose there is no sense in worrying about it any earlier than I need to. This time I've only got one piece. I'm not sure if Janalen planned that or if she forgot to assign me another piece but I'm not complaining or asking. I will be playing a lovely piece by Chopin, Nocturne in C sharp minor. i love this song, which is why I chose it. Somehow in the allure of the beauty of the song I didn't realize that near the end there is ONE measure where I have to get 35 notes in on my right hand in only 4 beats of my left hand. Tell me how am I going to be able to do that???? I don't think my hand can move that fast, and especially without mistakes. I think I'm a glutton for punishment, but everything is worth a try right? In some ways I feel lucky because Janalen originally wanted me to do a sonata (I think that's what it's called) but the pages scared the heck out of me! She's an amazing teacher, she can make you think you can accomplish anything!

This morning I couldn't stop yawning. You know when you yawn so much your eyes get watery. Now it's 9:45pm and I could be sleeping, but feel wide awake!!! I can't win for losin'

10 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Karie,

I didn't think it was a lame post at all -- I was highly entertained! And next time I go to the mall I'm going to remember not to look at those people in the kiosks in the eyes any more.

ladytoab said...

I don’t think that these comments are lame, because I have the same thoughts. Especially the one about the recyclable bags. I love my green bags but am I suppose to buy the blue ones from the competitors when I shop at their store or just bring in my green bag? Also, when going to the mall I just wear a pair of dark shades so they cannot see my eyes or I just walk with a frown on my face. The frowning seems to work since I also have a handful of teenagers with me when I do go to the mall. They probably are saying, "Poor Woman".

Karie said...

You both are so funny!!! I'll have to try the frownie face next time!!!

Unknown said...

I had a list of "funny things I've done while pregnant"...I was going to blog about it...but I have no clue where I put the list!

I liked the Temple Mall, all the kiosk workers were teenagers on myspace = they weren't working AT ALL! The last women who wanted to sale me something was shocked when I told her "I already have this product"...it was the truth, just I bought it over 3 years ago and I'm sure I'm out by now? She didn't need to know all that.

My daugther likes an Alicia Keys song = it happen to be on in the van and I tend to like it "No One"...so one day, while she was riding her jeep out at my folks it came one her radio and she's sooo into that song. I actually listened to the words, not such a bad message either. My point is, it will end up on my play list shortly I'm sure. I like Becky Hooley's play list, just FYI.

Wish we could see you play. Maybe when you and Daria are in Temple ya'll could put on a mini-recital for friends in family just at the church? It's a thought, no pressure. I got to see a few oldtimers last weekend = amazing how many people have moved.

Celeste said...

I actually have purchased multiple "green" bags from different stores because I didn't want the workers to give me funny looks. Pathedic, I know :)

Becky said...

Please post your next recital. Thanks!

Becky said...

Hey, I just started the John Adams book. It is fulfilling my learning hunger. Very uplifting and interesting so far. Thanks!

travelingtxmom said...

I personally love reading random thoughts...especially after not getting to for three weeks. I think they need more "green" bags here, it seems like half the trash I see lying around - and I see more of it than you can possibly imagine - are plastic bags. I've been working on recycling mine as trash bags. Maybe I ought to bring my trusty Trader Joe's shopping bag back with me.

Jillynne said...

I can't wait to see your recital -- please post yours and Daria as soon as you can. BTW -- Chopin is my favorite composer! Maybe you can try the Raindrop Prelude next! It's one of my fave's.
Love,
Jillynne

Jillynne said...

I like the sunglasses idea. LOL
J