Can you believe that the word “blah” is actually in the dictionary? Better than that can you believe I actually looked it up?
Is it just me or am I the only one who is in some sort of humdrum non-motivated slump trying to get on track with the New Year? I feel so “Blah”. Because I can’t seem to get motivated for more worthy causes I did however begin tackling a goal I would like to achieve.
TO READ
Yes, I am one of those non-readers who collect books they one day plan to read. Not only do I collect books I one day will read I keep lists of books I would like to read. Ridiculous I know. It’s not that I’m a poor reader. The fact of the matter is I prefer non-fiction and in my opinion most non-fiction requires a bit more thinking skills which of course slows down the reading….at least in my case. Consider the book “War and Peace”; according to Amazon it weighs 3.8 lbs! That’s a lot of food for thought. Not that I’m planning on reading that book…at least for now. I’ll file it on my "to read" list under the “w’s”.
Amazingly I’ve been able to read two quick read books that I really enjoyed. Both recommended by friends. (to all you busy readers, this is an accomplishment for me)
The first is “A Three Dog Life” by Abigail Thomas. It’s a memoir recounting the tangled web of feelings, emotions, and experiences Abigail had while having to take care of her husband who suffered a severe brain injury. Very riveting and I recommend it. My stepfather sustained a brain injury and trauma back in 1996. He died in 2003 from heart disease. I think that most of the world around us thought my mom’s life changed in 2003 when he died, but it actually changed in 1996 when he lost part of his mind and who he was. While he could live what seemed a “normal” existence (because he could drive, cook, put on his clothes) his mind was truly altered. Quit frankly I think this book could apply to anyone who has encountered any physical or mental limitation in a loved one.
Is it just me or am I the only one who is in some sort of humdrum non-motivated slump trying to get on track with the New Year? I feel so “Blah”. Because I can’t seem to get motivated for more worthy causes I did however begin tackling a goal I would like to achieve.
TO READ
Yes, I am one of those non-readers who collect books they one day plan to read. Not only do I collect books I one day will read I keep lists of books I would like to read. Ridiculous I know. It’s not that I’m a poor reader. The fact of the matter is I prefer non-fiction and in my opinion most non-fiction requires a bit more thinking skills which of course slows down the reading….at least in my case. Consider the book “War and Peace”; according to Amazon it weighs 3.8 lbs! That’s a lot of food for thought. Not that I’m planning on reading that book…at least for now. I’ll file it on my "to read" list under the “w’s”.
Amazingly I’ve been able to read two quick read books that I really enjoyed. Both recommended by friends. (to all you busy readers, this is an accomplishment for me)
The first is “A Three Dog Life” by Abigail Thomas. It’s a memoir recounting the tangled web of feelings, emotions, and experiences Abigail had while having to take care of her husband who suffered a severe brain injury. Very riveting and I recommend it. My stepfather sustained a brain injury and trauma back in 1996. He died in 2003 from heart disease. I think that most of the world around us thought my mom’s life changed in 2003 when he died, but it actually changed in 1996 when he lost part of his mind and who he was. While he could live what seemed a “normal” existence (because he could drive, cook, put on his clothes) his mind was truly altered. Quit frankly I think this book could apply to anyone who has encountered any physical or mental limitation in a loved one.
The second is “Confessions of a Slacker Mom”. I loved this one. Again, short, simple and easy to read. The term “slacker” refers to the fact that society wants us mother’s to believe that we are “slackers” if we do not have our kids in 20 activities, or provide them with every tiny inch of what might help them become some over achieving successful person in life. I call it the Oprah syndrome. I’m not an Oprah watcher, mainly for the fact that I’m really not a TV watcher. But the few times I’ve watched Oprah I feel like I’m just not doing enough. I’m not doing enough for my kids, for my husband for the world and then for myself (I have to remind myself that Oprah neither is married or has children and probably a LOT of time on her hands to think of things that we “slacker” moms should be doing so she can earn billions of dollars each year). No offense to Oprah. Anyway, this book is a funny book and the author sometimes gets on her tangents but the point was always well taken. While I didn’t agree with every insight, it did speak to my mothering soul that comes from centuries of natural instinct, like “less is more”, “natural consequences are the best teaches” and “we can’t protect our kids from disappointment or pain”..(like the middle school here who won’t allow the kids to play tag during recess because “Oh my, they might get hurt”). I would totally recommend it to anyone who is pregnant or with small children, and yes even older grown children.
While I’ve been in my slump, thanks to all of you who have been more diligent about keeping your blog updated….I’ve enjoyed “reading” them.




6 comments:
My brother LOVES to read, so I've sort of taken the low road and figured at least one child in the family got that gene! Funny thing is, when I've asked him what I should read he doesn't give me a long list...usually just one book. He suggested "Wiked" and even after only listening (books on CD ROCK espeicially whenyou spend half of your life in your vehicle) to about two or maybe three chapters I'm hooked. I do wonder what this says about my personality, yet all and all I know a few LDS people who could sign the whole Broadway musical for me so I figured I'd see what all the fuss was about. I also listened to that one book on CD, rememember...when I visted last, I was sort of out of it. By the way, the last time you saw me I was just over one "week" pregnant (opps, that might be too much information). So, I listened to "Twilight" and would say it's no Stephen King (NOT THAT I'VE ever read one of his books, but that is who my brother aspires to be "like" on some level) and it's way up from Judy Blume (the one author I could say at one point that i had read all her books). Thanks for the suggestions and when I'm done with this book I will be onto the Princess Bride (might even read it), I hear the movie doesn't even touch the genuis that is the book!
I can relate to the blahs Karie. But, I think I am out of them now. Next time the sun shines through the snowy clouds I am going to bundle up and get some sun on my face, too!
Thanks for the recommendations for books, I am going to find them at the library! I always love a good book- one that makes ya think a little. No thanks on the War and Peace though, ha ha. That will have to wait for my other life.
Funny!
I, too, collect books and make book lists! I knew I liked you!!
Ok, my only suggestion is to READ the Twilight series because the audio is just not great, infact it was somewhat difficult to listen to after actually reading the books. I encouraged my sister to read the Twilight series and she's still somewhat skeptical. She's about 7-8 chapters into it and she's still not sure what she thinks. I have decided that those of us who are somewhat romantic at heart and believe in Romeo & Juliette kind of stories, are those who'll like the books. Hopefully we will bond as "Twilight Fanclub" members when you're finished with them !! :)
P.S. I Love Edward :)
I've got to get me the "Confessions . . ." to read. I wholeheartedly agree. Less is more.
Oh, but if your list is not too long, learn french with me in your goal setting next year.
I am loving it now.
Post a Comment