Monday, June 11, 2007

Ironic

So tonight for family night everything started out great as usual. It was short. Ken is out of town on business in my old stomping grounds. Daria played an opening song. Dustin and I sang along. We read some things and had a small lesson. Then we decided to play games. Shouts of joy rang through the home as both kids ran upstairs yelling "We want to play Sorry! I'm yellow, I'm red.." Fine with me. The kids and I play this game often. So we are maybe 5 minutes into the game. Daria's the only one with a player on the board and I get a Sorry card so I bump her off. A minimal fuss starts but she calms herself down. A few minutes later Dustin gets a sorry card. He bumps Daria off because her player was closest to his home base. This begins an all out tantrum that you usually see a 3 year old do, not an 8 year old. I had to remind Daria that the game is titled S-O-R-R-Y, uhm, you know, there's going to be a lot of disappointing moves?? She wouldn't stop so she lost her opportunity to play. Dustin and I finished the game. Both kids have been a little cranky. I suspect it's due to lack of regular sleep and lack of a regular schedule.


Dustin has just changed his mind about being an FBI agent and wants to be an Air Force pilot. I will add this to the list of things he wants to be when he grows up. His reasoning: He wants to fly a fast plane. Well, they do have fast planes (jets). Daria is sticking with the veterinarian option. I have a feeling this just might come true.



Dustin asked me the other day if gasoline was really Dinosaur pee. No explanation needed. Daria asked me if we eat food in Heaven. Dustin said that he was going to eat fluffy clouds. Ahh, life is never boring here.



I'm on the battled field of the "wearing to many clothes" in our house. Especially after Daria's 12 pair of shorts/Capri's that she wore in a minimum of 7 days. The question I should be asking is why she has that many shorts and Capri's. Fortunately most of those are hand-me-downs. I shard the story of Grandma Carol who often wore one dress per week when she was a little girl and when it was dirty that she wore a pinafore over it. Dustin on the other hand has no problem wearing dirty clothes. In fact if I didn't work with him on putting on clean clothes he would wear the same thing all week long. Not a pretty site. We're working on it.



For anyone with kids, young or older, here are some great CD's that we've been listening to. I just can't get enough of them. The Primary Colors has the Snowman song on it and the Sharing Time has the Snowman II song. Don't let the titles of the songs fool you into thinking that they are just kids stuff. These singers take the traditional songs and give them a great enjoyable twist. I think I like each song just as much as the kids do. If you go to DeseretBook.com you can look it up and check out some of the sound clips. These guys have great harmonizing voices.



This past Sunday I was released as a Primary teacher. Only six months in this calling. At first it was hard because I had a hard class. Ten year old kid's going on 11, mostly boys. But I'll tell ya, by last Sunday I was pretty sad to be released. As a class we've finally come to a place where we are all working together and I think the kids really like coming to class. I will miss them but I reminded them I would still see them in the hallways at church. I had a jar that we filled with beads as the kids worked on being reverent (being 10 is the hardest age for sitting still and being quiet!) and bringing their scriptures. Stuff like that. They loved the challenge and we actually finished filling the jar the Sunday before last. So this Wednesday we will have a fun pizza party and marshmallow war at my house. They are great kids! 5 boys and 2 girls. My new calling is Enrichment Leader. It's been ages since I've been in a Relief Society calling but I'm looking forward to it. My favorite place has always been with the youth, Primary and Young Women's because there is so much energy and excitement for life at those ages. It's so bright and kids love to learn. But I love the Relief Society and I think it's the coolest women's organization in the world, so it will be so nice to be with the ladies on Sunday and gain from their wisdom and challenges.

4 comments:

BROKEN said...

You are all lucky I was not home because all of you would have been mad because DAD won again. miss you guys

Heather said...

That game...it sure can cause some conflict! Relief Society can be fun, good luck with the new calling.

Jonah said...

SORRY always causes problems at our house too. HAng in there!

Unknown said...

@Let's see...I think that 1. Sorry is a game I'll never play (don't own it)
2. Relief Society is just Older Young Women (sometimes all too true) and 3. We are kindred spirits, I've been meeting to tell you or maybe I did aobut the Primary Color's CD...good to know there is another one out there!